Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: New to HRT but have uterine cramps  (Read 2497 times)

KittyKats

New to HRT but have uterine cramps
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:21:25 AM »

Hi Ladies,

I have recently started Estrogel 1 pump and vaginal Utrogestan 100mg continuous for the last 10 days although I was on a half pump of the gel for a couple of weeks beforehand.

After taking the Utrogestan for 6 days I started to feel really ill and achey so I am now using it alternate nights. Not sure if this is a good idea but I felt so out of it and I have seen Louise Newson recommends this. 

In the last 24 hours I've had horrible uterine cramps like I used to suffer in the luteal phase of my cycle. My 40s was ruined by these symptoms. I have multiple tiny fibroids which the gynaecologist said could be stimulated by HRT so will be scanned in 6 months. I am concerned that the HRT is causing the cramps but am not completely sure if it is my own body and maybe I am going to have a random period. It's almost one year since my last period minus a couple of weeks. I was 49 and a half when this happened.

Has anyone else had cramps like this on HRT? If so does it settle? I've been feeling so much better on the Estrogel and I'm loathe to give it up. Any advice gratefully received.  ;D

Hurdity

Re: New to HRT but have uterine cramps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »

Hi Kittykats - yout post got missed!

How are your cramps now? I am wondering if you maybe about to have a bleed as you yourself thought? As you went from daily to alternate day use, it could be that this stimulates a bleed hence the cramps?

Also if you are taking it less than the recommended amount of daily use ie alternate days, this may cause more stimulation of your fibroids by the oestrogen. I do get very mild cramps sometimes when I start the utrogestan part but I have stayed with a cycle and a longer one at that, so at least they are intermittent.

On low doses of oestrogen it may be sufficient (alternate day dosing) but at least if you are being scanned then you will know. The alternate day dosing suggestion is off-licence and for vaginal use with low to medium oestrogen doses.

Hurdity x

KittyKats

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:24:12 AM »

Hi Hurdity - thanks very much for replying. It's interesting you also had mild cramps on that part.

I haven't felt great since starting the Utrogestan. I have told my GP that I am using it vaginally on alternate nights as I got really unwell taking it every day. She said the progesterone part of HRT takes much longer to settle into and it's not usual to get side effects for up to three months and it should settle.

The cramps are not good and they are in the same pattern as when I used to have periods but I'm guessing considering it's almost a year since the end of my last one then it's highly unlikely I could get another natural period. I'm also wondering if taking it vaginally might cause uterine cramping more than the oral route.

The GP said there is no scanning available at the moment because of Covid. Just hope the fibroids aren't getting bigger as at last count I had 12!

Louise Newson seems to recommend half dose of Utrogestan vaginally.

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/micronised-progesterone-or-utrogestan

x

KittyKats

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 11:10:19 AM »

Hi Avalon! So sorry for late reply. My cramping has settled down a lot. Still get the occasional twinge but not like when I started Utrogestan which I think is the same as Prometrium. I was using the progesterone vaginally every night but had to cut down to alternate nights as one of my liver enzymes rose as I have Gilberts Syndrome. I feel better on alternate as I don't think you need more than that according to Louise Newson. I am on Estrogel and I have increased from one pump to a pump and a quarter. My problem now is I have started spotting! It's never ending! I do hope you are feeling better. Do update xx

nigela

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 08:54:16 AM »

Hi kitty Kat
Did your cramps lessen as I’m the same. Did you get any bleeding? Trying vaginally even though GP wont agree to this method ! I’ve already had a 2 week bleed which scared me whist taking utrogesten orally. I too had fibroids and endo but she wi t send me for a scan unless I stop hrt even then it would be at least 8 weeks! Thanks.