Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Gastritis / acid reflux  (Read 2273 times)

CrispyChick

Gastritis / acid reflux
« on: May 13, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »

Firstly. Do you always get both together?

I have extreme nawing pain in my stomach. Also acid reflux.

I've had bouts of this for about 4 years. I'm in peri, not sure if it is connected, or not.

I'm just not sure what I should be doing?! Last year I was seen by gastroenterologist, who thought there was nothing wrong, but agreed to endoscopy. Endoscopy showed gastritis and polyp. I was put on ranitidine by the consultant who did the endoscopy.

At one point I was on 300mg a day and my stomach gradually got better. I was seen again by the gastroenterologist who said I should not have been put on medication for mild gastritis so try and wean off.

So, I got down to 75mg a day. Was OK on that. Then found out ranitidine has been recalled, due to cancer causing properties - great. So have dropped to 37.5mg a day. 2 weeks in..... Big flare up.

I'm in agony now. So gastroenterrologist says I should be on nothing and signed me off. GP says I need to come off ranitidine due to recall and says I can have PPI (which I have tried before and didn't like).

Not sure what to do?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gastritis / acid reflux
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »

This is painful and can be treated.  Get thyself some 'rennies' or milk of magnesia liquid and take 3 times a day.  Gastritis means inflammation and if the 'ranitidine' helped, the others will in the short term.

Reflux is awful.  4 me it happens when I lay down and I get a lot of liquid in my mouth when it's at it's worst as well as pain in-between the rib cage ......

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 10:37:11 PM »

Hi CrispyChick - what was it about the PPI you didn't like? I am on Omeprazole for reflux caused by a hiatus hernia. I really didn't want to start it - I even started a thread about it - but it was the best thing I've done. The acid had ulcerated my throat but within a month of taking 40mg a day of Omeprazole it had totally cleared up. I am now on 20mg. No more waking up in the night, as CLKD does, with liquid in my mouth feeling like I am choking. I was always worried I was actually going to vomit! By the way this symptom should always be checked out CLKD so that you can make sure the acid hasn't started pre-cancerous changes in the oesophagus but maybe you have already done that (CLKD)?

Getting back to your current problem it is well known that when you stop any acid changing product you have a rebound effect which sends the stomach into overdrive - making far more acid than before the ranitidine. This is why your doc has suggested a PPI. Please consider it.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »

Nope Taz.  All settled on omeprazole tnx. 

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:33:42 AM »

So you did get it checked out then and were given omeprazole? No more Rennie's required   ;)

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 08:17:24 AM »

No nasty tubes though Taz  :-X

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:22:54 PM »

They weren't nasty really - I had sedation - marvellous stuff!

It did find the reason for the problem though which I was pleased about. It's nice to know what's causing it rather than just being given a medication which has it's own downside on the off-chance it will work. I'm hoping to go down to 10mg by the end of this year.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »

I take I think without looking, 20mg.  At night. Occasionally I have to have a capsule in the morning if the irritating cough returns. 

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 08:25:38 AM »

I had the endoscopy, without sedation. It was fine. I was quite determined at the time to find out if I was celiac or not....... Another possibility with my undiagnosed peri symptoms. I'm not.

So I finally went to pick up my omeprazole prescription, only to find they had managed to source an alternative h2 blocker to the ranitidine after all. Got 2 months supply, so I think I'll swap to that for the time being.

Taz2 what did your endoscopy show? I'm still confused that mine showed gastritis and polyp. I still get regular pain and yet the consultant told me to get off the meds and just get on with it 🤷‍♀️

Tinacros

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 05:35:35 PM »

Hi I suddenly developed gastritis 6 years ago. Vomiting black stuff up😟 had a camera and biopsy and doctor put me on lansoprazole 39mg and said I’d have to take them for life. He took pictures and my hubby said it looked like a baboons backside🙈 it was awful. Sometimes a get a bit lazy with my meds and it rears it’s head again.  I’d like to reduce my dose to 15mg as it is know to cause low iron which I’ve been diagnosed with lately x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 05:38:20 PM »

Black blood is old/trapped bleeding.  Was it analysed ?  :-\