Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: The use of words  (Read 1535 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
The use of words
« on: March 28, 2021, 08:14:22 AM »

I hate people saying "It's only" or "It's just" - because nothing is just only ....... however, I do struggle to find an alternative to both.

"You're only a secretary" - a phrase thrown at me when in company if anyone asked me my employment history

"It's just depression" ...... same woman. 

Do others let these 2 words flow or are there others to substitute?

Years ago of course, 1 could be gay ........... without being anything other than happy.

jaypo

Re: The use of words
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »

Language changes continually,now we have "woke"  now,meaning roughly politically correct,snowflakes are people easily offended,gender fluid,it goes on and on,it's trying to keep up with it all.
Women used to say,when asked what they do,I'm just a stay at home mum........JUST!?! You were told you were JUST a secretary ? In that sense it is derogatory.
My huge bugbears are the overuse and misuse of "literally" woman on quiz show.......my head literally exploded.......WHAAAAATTT  ;D
The other is people answering questions with "so" now THAT really gets to me. Think I may be a grumpy old woman  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 04:22:33 PM »

;D

I tend 2 use 'so' and pause - with people I don't know, instead of 'hey U!'  ;D

Surely though 'they' is plural?   In that 'they attacked me in the street' the Police would be looking for more than 1 person? but 'they' is beginning to mean something else.  :-\.  I have no problems with people wanting to be true to themselves, but don't grab my English language to prove a point!

To help us all, a new vocabulary is required so that we are all on the same page and so that I don't get muddled and offend someone.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 04:24:31 PM by CLKD »

Barnacle

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »

Women used to say,when asked what they do,I'm just a stay at home mum........JUST!?!

Yep. It is the most rewarding, but toughest job in the world at times. Hate that phrase with a passion.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 06:09:24 PM »

Mums do the best job, years ago helped by Grannies and Aunts.  Then the World became fragmented so parenting is never 'just'!

Padine

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 08:21:32 PM »

I'm afraid I have nothing original here, but the old "Here's a book from Peter and I" when it should be "Peter and me" (even my Grammarly has underlined the "I" and suggested another pronoun and a very unhappy face!)
             Has anyone else noticed that the word "injection" seems to have disappeared from almost everyone's vocabulary? I cover my ears when the dreaded J word is mentioned. "JAB" is slang and I hate it with a passion  :bang:

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 07:37:13 AM »

Whoops - Note to Self  ;)

'expert' is my hated word - no one can be an expert however well read or informed!

Schools are being blamed for not having enough sex education in the time tables  :-\.  I knew everything by the time I was 11, by reading the Dear Aunty pages in Mum's magazines then asking the questions  ;D.

I don't know what there is to avoid when children ask personal questions ..........