Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your vision of a World Pandemic  (Read 3587 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Your vision of a World Pandemic
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »

Having vaguely remembered my history books ...... and having visited Eyham in Derbyshire 3 years ago: the Plaque Village : I would never have dreamed that such an Event would happen.  Considering SARS was eventually contained and knowing that governments are supposedly ahead of the game because they meet to discuss such possibilities ......

I thought that maybe travel would be stopped immediately.  That people would be allowed the 1 journey 'home' from work and schools closed. 

That Nursing Staff would be sent to their place of work: as in a usual emergency i.e. Major Accident: and bedded down either on the premises or at nearby Hotels.  So that they didn't travel very far ...... that uniforms would be taken off B4 they left the premises and laundered on site and that they would put a fresh uniform on B4 going onto the Wards.  I expected that Barrier Nursing would be immediate.

I would have expected more communication from our local Health Authority. We have had nowt from the GP Surgery unless we visit where we have to read the notices on the door  ::)

I thought of something else but it's flitted through  :-\

CLKD

Re: Your vision of a World Pandemic
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »

I am amazed that our essential services: water, electricity, gas, sewage : remain unchanged.  Thus far.  Even the Internet hasn't wobbled much. 

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »

Our GP surgery emails a weekly newsletter to patients who have registered for online access. They have been excellent at keeping us informed of developments and any changes in the way the practice is working.

Taz  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »

Isolation hospitals were shut down.  As were recovery hospitals, where patients went between Hospital and going home.  For rehabilitation with physio., healthy food etc..

Which is why Nightingale Hospitals were built where I expected all cases to be taken, therefore freeing up General Hospitals for routine patients.  However, we know that there have never been enough NHS Staff to cover either an epidemic or pandemic.

I did think that villages would be isolated by area/population, with few people allowed in/out which is I suppose what Facebook groups are doing - shopping, prescription collections/deliveries so that less people need to travel. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:12:10 AM »

Did U envisage it though Teresa?

The cynic in me says that this may be terrorism .........

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »

Well I don't think many are still subscribing to the bat soup theory.

Accidental leak from a high security virology lab in Wuhan .. maybe.

Apparently not.  Laboratory produced virus have a particular genetic footprint that this virus doesn't have.  Try telling that to Trump though.

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »

Bats are interesting. Very good at fighting infection apparently. One type of bat (can't remember the name ..duh) makes Vitamin C on demand. And of course they don't get respiratory problems being upside down. That's where we're going wrong. At first sign of symptoms, stand on your head.

Feels like I already am. ::) :madeyes:

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 09:40:11 AM »

hahaha, stella... after my forward roll escapade, standing on my head is the last thing I want to do!  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »

Yep.  Orthopaedic surgeons often told patients that our main problem is that we evolved upright!

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 01:46:40 PM »

Well I don't think many are still subscribing to the bat soup theory.

Accidental leak from a high security virology lab in Wuhan .. maybe.

Apparently not.  Laboratory produced virus have a particular genetic footprint that this virus doesn't have.  Try telling that to Trump though.
They aren't saying it's a man made virus, just that it might have escaped from a lab. It wouldn't be the first time this has hapoened, the 2007 foot and mouth outbreak was caused by a leak from Pirbright. The fact that they tried to cover it up for so long makes me wonder if there's more to it than they're admitting.

Sparrow

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 02:41:58 PM »

This is a new virus. 

If they did have it in a lab and not created it, it would have to be present in the world at large.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 03:37:53 PM »

2007 ? did I miss that sheila99  :-\ .......... I made a thread about the 2001 outbreak with the details - it began around my area  :-\ and our local agricultural show went ahead the next day without animals  :'( and a sense of doom across the field.

I also thought that should a Pandemic occur, that the Army would be deployed immediately at the end of each street to give advice.

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 05:57:06 PM »

This is a new virus. 

If they did have it in a lab and not created it, it would have to be present in the world at large.
It isn't a new virus, it's present in animals. What's new is that it's jumped the species barrier so it's new in humans.

CLKD https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_foot-and-mouth_outbreak
They contained this one before it had spread too far.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 06:03:02 PM »

I'll pass this into my thread  ;)

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 06:37:31 PM »

Covid 19 has yet to be found in any wild animal species.  Bats are thought to be the source but this has yet to be verified.

If there have been samples of the virus in Chinese laboratories, where did they get them from??
Pages: [1] 2