Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Prostap induced menopause for PMDD  (Read 2169 times)

PMDD

Prostap induced menopause for PMDD
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »

Hi there, I am new but have been lurking and gaining as much information from you all as possible, and it is so greatly received!

I have a condition called PMDD, and have been on Prostap injection as a treatment for 7 years, to stop ovulation, and induce the menopause. I am 42 now, but this condition has affected me since the birth of my children (lastly, 2010).

I am struggling at the moment, and could do with some advice.....for many years i could not tolerate ANY add back HRT, as it restarted severe PMDD symptoms, but last year I seemed to be very affected by the lack of oestrogen, so my consultant decided to re-try it, and I was started on Evorel Conti patches......and I can tolerate them! This means things are changing hormonally for me (?? entering peri naturally, as mum was 41 when she started, and was finished by 42 ??)

I then became quite oestrogen 'needy' (I think, but not sure!)....and my consultant said due to my age, to add some gel on top - 1 or 2 pumps. I seem to get palpitations if my level is low (or i forget my gel  ::))......or has it gone too high for me?

As I haven't had hormones in me for so long, I don't really know what I am doing! I am anxious, I have had a bleed (first one in 8 years), I get palpitations....I am just not feeling myself, and the tinnitus/itchy ear thing is unbelievably annoying!

I am looking for any guidance at all really.....too high?, too low?, oestrogen?, progesterone?.....my head is in a spin.

Thanks for getting this far

Lisa x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Prostap induced menopause for PMDD
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »

PMDD - sorry, what does it mean and how does it manifest?

Maybe put the name of the product into the search box ?  Make notes?  Sure someone will be along soon  :yes:

Moonshine54

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 07:09:39 PM »

Hi
I am probably not the best to answer your questions as I think the hormone balance is a tricky balance and one I am still trying to work out. I suffered with pmdd most of my adult life. I had prostrap injections for many years. I hit the perimenpause a,couple of years ago. I use oestrogen patches and utrogestan.  I am still trying to find a balance. I am 55 and still get bad Pmt.
You are probably best to ask to get referred to a menopause clinic.
Moon xx

PMDD

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 09:52:34 PM »

Hi
I am probably not the best to answer your questions as I think the hormone balance is a tricky balance and one I am still trying to work out. I suffered with pmdd most of my adult life. I had prostrap injections for many years. I hit the perimenpause a,couple of years ago. I use oestrogen patches and utrogestan.  I am still trying to find a balance. I am 55 and still get bad Pmt.
You are probably best to ask to get referred to a menopause clinic.
Moon xx

Great to hear from you! How did the perimenopause affect your PMDD, and were you on prostap at the time?

PMDD - sorry, what does it mean and how does it manifest?

Maybe put the name of the product into the search box ?  Make notes?  Sure someone will be along soon  :yes:

Great to hear from you too! PMDD stands for Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder, it is a severe form of PMS (in reality, it's not even close)....in me, it manifested as sudden neurotic/psychotic episodes within a few days post birth of my children.....completely out of the blue! Then, I suffered for 3 weeks out of every 4, with anger (Red rage!), pain, suicidal ideation.....a complete jekyll/hyde personality disorder.

When I have my ovulation stopped with the prostap, i am 'normal'.....except that i am now struggling to balance this new need for hormones

Lisa x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »

Tnx for the explanation.  Many years ago I knew a girl who had this after each baby - she left 7 years between them in case and sadly, it did happen the 2nd time.  Very little knowledge of the effects of hormones and child birth in the 1960s.

Have you looked at the web-site for The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS]?  That's where I got help in my 30s - Dr Dalton did a lot on cyclic hormonal upheaval.

:bighug: