Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi! Am new!  (Read 1245 times)

Sophie Jane

Hi! Am new!
« on: April 07, 2020, 04:16:59 PM »

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say a quick hello. My doctor recommended this site and I've just got around to having a quick browse!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions on anything I can do/take that would help ease the hot flushes? I can't go on HRT as I've recently recovered from breast cancer (I finished all treatment last summer and also had my ovaries removed) I'm 46 but it was the chemotherapy that bought on the menopause. I've read that this can make the symptoms more severe.. if the hot flushes are anything to go by I can believe it! I do have other symptoms but these are the most uncomfortable... I have them at night and quite a lot during the day.. I also sweat a lot with them too. My family often find me stripped to my undies pottering around the kitchen until it passes.. lovely sight! I've followed all the advice regarding food, drink, clothing etc.. I have fans everywhere which to be honest are the only things that help!

I'd be really grateful to hear of any suggestions or just how you cope!   

Sophie Jane

Re: Hi! Am new!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 04:31:57 PM »

Thank you! I?ll check those out! 🙂

Sophie Jane

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 05:06:49 PM »

Had a look at the video and it was really interesting so thank you for that link. Unfortunately my cancer was an oestrogen fed one and I have to take an aromatase inhibitor drug which controls the oestrogen in my body and they said towards the end that HRT wouldn't be suitable for women on this type of drug. Shame!

Bobidy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 05:11:04 PM »

Oh what a shame. There will be other ladies on here who can advise better im sure x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 06:02:39 PM »

Hi! this is early days for you with regard HRT/not.  The cool fans are a good place to start and I think there are chillo pillows - don't know how people have got on with those? 

There is a more recent train of thought that once a lady is down the road with recovery that HRT should not be dismissed completely. 

:welcomemm:  do read the threads about vaginal atrophy as this form of HRT is delivered differently and can ease symptoms completely.  Put 'sylc' and 'yes' into the search box too.  Make notes ;-)

Sophie Jane

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 07:17:01 PM »

Thanks again! I?ll do a bit more research. Feeling better already just by joining this and reading through the posts! x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 07:55:45 PM »

Hi SophieJane

:welcomemm:

So sorry to hear about your breast cancer.

There are certain prescribed medication which are suitable for women who cannot take HRT due to breast cancer, and which can work for hot flushes. There was a paper produced a couple of years ago which I posted on here. Will try to find it....

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 07:57:56 PM »

Here you are Sophie Jane - it's in this thread. https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45003.msg723280.html#msg723280  I posted some of the info as the paper is not open access any more. I will also bump the thread for you.

Hurdity x

PS The thread is in the All Things Menopause section.

Sophie Jane

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 07:28:07 AM »

Hi Hurdity

Thank you so much for that, an interesting read! it's made me think hard about what route to take. The problem's been that I've had so much going on that I've not known what is causing what! During the cancer something else was picked up on one of the scans and to cut a very long story short I was referred to an endocrinologist and after many tests I had Cushing's syndrome (adrenal glands produce too much cortisone resulting in huge weight gain, insomnia etc) I had a double adrenalectomy at the end of January and am now steroid dependent. The recovery is very long (not good when you?re an impatient person like me!). The problem is that as well as the hot flushes I also have terrible joint ache. I have seen a rheumatologist (more tests and scans!) and am taking a strong ibuprofen and Amitriptyline which has helped with the sleep but not the pain.. My onchologist suggested coming off my cancer drug for a month (there are alternatives I can take) but it's only been a week so I'm not sure if that will help yet.. I'm thinking that it could be just the menopause and that going down the CBT/hypnosis route may be good for now. I practise CBT anyway and it really helped get me through the cancer so maybe that reinforced with hypnosis could be good?

I hope this doesn't come across self indulgent! I just wanted to explain everything as I've been in such a muddle! (I had real chemo brain when going through treatment and now I'm experiencing menopause brain.. my family have told me I've always been dippy and that they don't notice any difference! But I'm sticking with it! 😂)

Thanks again for your replies. It really helps to know you?re not alone and I hope I can be of some use to you too!

Stay safe everyone xx