Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Son self isolating at Uni and cant get on-line shop  (Read 2330 times)

shrosphirelass

Son self isolating at Uni and cant get on-line shop
« on: March 17, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »

My sons household are self isolating as one of them has cough and temperature and another unwell. Thye were told to self isolate for 7 days. They have very little in and there's no on-line shops available at any of the local supermarkets. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Hurdity

Re: Son self isolating at Uni and cant get on-line shop
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 07:41:07 PM »

Sorry to hear this. There are lots of Covid-19 help groups sprung up so they can have a look at FB for local community groups. I expect there is one at the university (student intranet?) or they can go onto their union website. I'm sure there will be provision for this sort of scenario. I'm sure they should be able to sort this out fairly soon. I hope so!

Hurdity x

Emerald2017

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:44:23 PM »

Don't waste time! If symptoms get more serious ask for medical help! I am from Greece and things get harder here! It is not just a flu, it is more dangerous!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:46:08 PM by Emerald2017 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:14:10 PM »

Get in touch with the University Dept. that they are attached to, this should have been sorted B4 students get into this situation!  Have a look-see at local shops, where do they live?  Ring the local Church, GP Surgery - the Uni should have dedicated GP Surgeries for students.

Many areas are setting up support for isolated and vulnerable.  Who told them to self isolate?  Surely they have to let the tutors know? Will they not be missed anyway .........

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 08:40:40 PM »

Thanks, hopefully one of those approaches will work, though Uni has more or less closed down. The modules have been suspended as they are all practical. Nearly everyone has gone home. Luckily their symptoms don't seem too bad, so they may just have a simple virus, but 111 advised 7 days isolation. I couldn't believe the on-line shopping situation. When I looked there were no slots anywhere for ages.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »

Thanks, hopefully one of those approaches will work, though Uni has more or less closed down. The modules have been suspended as they are all practical. Nearly everyone has gone home. Luckily their symptoms don't seem too bad, so they may just have a simple virus, but 111 advised 7 days isolation. I couldn't believe the on-line shopping situation. When I looked there were no slots anywhere for ages.
My area has a private FB group to help with things like this. I joined it today to see if I could help.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 08:54:51 PM »

Don't waste time! If symptoms get more serious ask for medical help! I am from Greece and things get harder here! It is not just a flu, it is more dangerous!

Yes that is the advice here in UK. We only need to ring for further help if symptoms worsen...there are too many with it to cope with those who get it like a mild or even a "normal" bad flu.

I didn't realise unis had closed down. I suppose they are near the end of term now but those who live in shared houses tend to stay for longer don't they? Still should be functioning union and local groups though.... if it's still term-time there should be the relevant uni welfare department or whatever they are called, who should have contacts...do they have friends who can drop food at the door?

Hurdity x

littleminnie

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 08:32:51 AM »

Could you do a food shop for him and arrange for him to collect from the entrance?

Salad

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »

Could you do a food shop for him and arrange for him to collect from the entrance?

That's what I wondered too.

Hope it's sorted now  :)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 09:54:51 AM »

There must be stores close by?   Where is he - more or less?  Trouble is not many properties have a copy of Yellow Pages and as most rely on mobiles it is difficult when feeling off colour to even think about how to access that kind of information.  If they are registered with a GP/Dentist, mayB that should be their first port of call?

Or the Samaritans who may have local food bank numbers to hand?  Do they frequent a Pub who could help? 

DH says get onto GOOGLE via lap top or mobile and do a search.  Surely they have friends that they can text who could contact some in the College?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:56:22 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »

Any news? 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 09:08:34 PM »

Thanks all. Sorry for the delay replying life has been fraught. He lives miles away which was the issue. They managed to find a friend to help who picked up a few bits. They've just managed as best as they, pretty piecemeal. We're picking him up on Sunday. Uni's have closed and he can't complete his assessments as they are all practical. He's in his final year so goodness knows what will happen. At least he's feeling reasonably well.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »

His Tutor is lacking in Duty of Care it would seem.  He/she should have contacted each student to make sure that they have sufficient funds, food, loo rolls etc and when each was being collected. I certainly would stop any payment to the College immediately.

Did the friend not organise something regularly?  No joined up thinking then?

The Student Union is also remiss.  I refused to join ........... but had I not, I wouldn't have been allowed to attend Courses. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »

His Tutor is lacking in Duty of Care it would seem.  He/she should have contacted each student to make sure that they have sufficient funds, food, loo rolls etc and when each was being collected. I certainly would stop any payment to the College immediately.

Did the friend not organise something regularly?  No joined up thinking then?

The Student Union is also remiss.  I refused to join ........... but had I not, I wouldn't have been allowed to attend Courses.

I don't know what support is available, but my son isn't good at asking for help. Probably doesn't help himself. I think its chaotic at all the Uni's and they are probably doing the best they can in very difficult circumstances.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 12:37:54 PM »

Which is why the Union and Tutors should have by now contacted all students?
Pages: [1] 2