Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Should we still go?  (Read 1367 times)

Jellyb

Should we still go?
« on: March 13, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »

Just a little poll/advice needed:-

My husband has a big birthday at the end of the year and I had planned things for us to do each month leading up to it.  One of those things is a show in London next weekend.  He's late 50s with no health issues, I'm mid 40s with a mild lung condition & mild asthma.  Yes, the tickets were expensive but I'm not necessarily fussed about the money.  It would be a short train journey to get there and we'd use a taxi rather than tube once in London.  We have other events coming up, also in London, so this decision will dictate what we do with the others I think.

So, the question is - should we still go?  I'd be interested to hear your views as my elderly father says definitely no, but my husband says yes.

Thanks in advance.

Sparrow

Re: Should we still go?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 09:12:59 AM »

The key thing is that it is at the end of the year.

Also you are just as likely to come into contact with the virus in your local environment, as in London.  Life is full of risk and it's impossible to avoid it wherever you are.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »

The key thing is that it is at the end of the year.

Also you are just as likely to come into contact with the virus in your local environment, as in London.  Life is full of risk and it's impossible to avoid it wherever you are.

You read it wrongly.  it's next weekend they are going to London. 

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »

Yep, you are right, but my advice still stands.

My sister and her husband are both vulnerable health wise.  However her attitude is just get on with life and enjoy it.  I agree entirely.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »

I would ring the Event and ask the question?  Is there a web-site that is giving up 2 date information?  What happens if Boris decides to shut down all movement whilst you are in London: where would you stay, get food etc.? 

Are you able to defer the celebration until later?  Do something at the weekend and look forwards to re-booking?  I can't say yeah or nah as I don't travel by public transport due to anxiety nor do I like London.   ::)

Happy Celebrations  :cake:

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »

Jellyb: in your position I'd be tempted to go, although I don't know where you live and your lung condition. However the general advice (from Govt or NHS) may change between now and next weekend. Were still in the very early stages of the pandemic in UK  at the moment! You would hear if the show was cancelled anyway so I don't see the need to ring the venue. Keep an eye on t'internet.  If you decide to go take plenty of gel and something to wipe down handrails etc. Take taxis yes. I mean we're nowhere near the peak yet so perhaps enjoy it while you can but take all necessary precautions advised. Are you staying overnight?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 06:56:15 PM »

... and R absolutely fine?

Jellyb

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 10:10:09 PM »

Thanks all. We are not staying over and I will avoid seeing my parents for several days afterwards, just to be on the safe side if we decide to go.