Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Breast cancer and Dairy foods  (Read 4235 times)

sheila99

Re: Breast cancer and Dairy foods
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 06:05:13 PM »

We know that there is nearly a four times difference in the incidence of BC between Western women and Asian women and in the east the women eat very little (if any) dairy foods.

Dairy products naturally contain a substance called IGF-1 but the levels are high in pregnant cows. It is designed to stimulate growth and stimulate cells to divide and multiply and has been implicated in BC. There is such a high commercial scale now for cows breast milk and so nowadays they are milked whilst pregnant. During pregnancy their levels of estrogen are much higher so the dairy foods we eat contain high amounts of this hormone.

When dairy is eaten as cheese, it has an acidic effect on the body and will cause calcium to be leached from your bones, so this is not a good form of dairy after the menopause.

If you are opting for a non hrt menopause and are concerned about estrogen receptive cancer and osteoporosis then maybe think about cutting out dairy products. ?! X
Perhaps you could come up with some proper scientific studies to back this up seeing it goes against established thinking? Trying to frighten people into a vegan diet isn't on IMO.

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 06:05:31 PM »

Hi Jari

I am assuming that your post is quoted from elsewhere rather than entirely your own words? If that is the case usual practice is to put in quotes or italics unless your own words and more importantly quote the source, so that we can all find and read the info for ourselves? This would be really helpful! :)

As Shadyglade says there is unlikely to be any causal relationship established and so the data cannot be used to prove anything.

Being too fat and drinking too much are high risks for breast ( and other cancers) and I would suggest from what I've read that women would be far better off severely limiting alcohol intake and getting your BMI into the healthy range rather than eliminating these valuable food items from your diet (unless you are sensitive of course!). There are plenty of low fat versions.

Kmorris - what nonsense advice from your nurse. Total Ch is too simplistic. My last 3 (total) cholesterol readings have been 6.5, 6.8, 6.7. No action needed. There have been detailed discussions about this issue on a couple of cholesterol therads in the Other Health Section. I suggest you search for them and possibly make your points there because it is important to discuss this but it's off topic for this board really.

Hurdity x

Jari

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 06:37:47 PM »

I seem to get question marks when I do the quote thing.

Anyway, it is my gut feeling, but also there is plenty out there for anyone to search and read if they want to. Eg:

https://www.pcrm.org/news/health-nutrition/milk-and-cheese-increase-risk-breast-cancer

https://www.pcrm.org/news/health-nutrition/cows-milk-may-increase-risk-breast-cancer
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 06:41:21 PM by Jari »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 06:39:37 PM »

Olive oil is an oil. 

I forget nuts and I love most especially Brazils - even better when covered with chocolate  :-*.  I had breast disease even though I was anorexic from the age of 3.  Even though I ate healthy food when Dad could encourage me to eat.  A little of what we fancy - we are evolved to eat a varying diet including meat, at least that's why my teeth R as they are.

I have '?' too at times  >:(

Jari

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »

I love Brazil nuts too CLKD, even better covered in chocolate! ;)

Kathleen, I really like Nutrition facts too.

I do not know how to put video links on here and I know dairy link with BC and general health is controversial, but if anyone is interested, go to Nutritionfacts.org and search :

The effects of hormone in dairy milk on cancer.

Each to their own, but I have reduced dairy a lot. I prefer plant based milks and I know CLKD not to call them milks, but I can't think what else to call them. 😂

Jari

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »

Jari

Sparrow

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »

There is the opinion that full fat milk is a high fat food.  This is not really true as a high fat food has a fat content of 5% or more.  Full fat milk is 3%.  Low fat dairy products tend to add sugar such as in yoghurt. 

As for hormones in milk, in the UK hormones are not given to our livestock as they are in the USA. It's not legal to do so here. In addition the hormones produced by the cow are bovine specific and we do not have the receptors for them to be absorbed in our bodies.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 09:02:16 AM by Shadyglade »

Jari

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »

Hi Shadyglade

It is an interesting subject and I just do not like the thought of it with my high risk estrogen receptive breast cancer family history so I am steering clear of dairy.

It seems that the hormones in dairy have increased very much as the cows are now kept permanently pregnant and milked whilst pregnant, when their own hormones are much higher.

To be honest, hormones aside, I just do not like the thought of it and would rather have plant milks.. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »

Plants however do NOT have milk.  Coconut 'milk' is processed: the inside meaty white stuff is compressed and squeezed.  There is a liquid in most coconuts which is nice to drink and which our family calls 'milk' but in reality it ain't. 

Plants that have a sap may well be poisonous  ::)

I had breast disease.  Etc.. Etc..  Etc.. ........... I didn't have anyone in the family with breast problems.  My Mum's cancer was totally different from the one that I had.

Hormones are of course natural. 

Jari

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 01:57:13 PM »

Hurdity, agreed, it is also very wise to keep alcohol consumption and bmi within the recommended limits.

I feel very healthy with the diet/lifestyle that I have chosen.
I have not eaten animals for almost 30 years, but in the last two years I have reduced coffee intake to 1-2 cups in morning only, raised my omega 3 intake, my bmi is in the middle of the recommended bracket, alcohol is maybe a couple of glasses of wine at weekends which are both well within recommended levels. I also do not have much dairy at all, very rarely. Possibly when I am in a restaurant and a sauce happens to have a bit of milk but I never have at home and I also have very good energy levels. My sleep has really improved in the last year too. I did get night sweats about a year after last period, but always slept well before these.

My menopause symptoms have been very short lived. 2 years and peaked in the middle.

We are all very different and make different choices, but I think we all know our own bodies the best and what works for us. X
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:20:28 PM by Jari »
Pages: 1 [2]