Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Could this be thyroid issues?  (Read 1366 times)

Eternalpunk

Could this be thyroid issues?
« on: March 11, 2020, 03:33:02 PM »

Hello all,
I wondered if I could get some advice from you all please? Some history first, I have been on hrt for 1 year 3 months. Peri menopause? Main reason for going on it was due to increase in menstrual migraine with my erratic periods. I was having migraines 2 and 3 times per week always followed or preceeded with a bleed. Some improvements occurred at first re: mood, anxiety, hot flushes, energy levels. Migraines reduced gradually too was only having them 2 days into utrogestan and when utrogestan stopped. Or when my own cycle decided to override the hrt.

Aesthetically, I feel I am ageing in dog years!  ;D my skin is so very dry, my hair is thin and breaking. My husband said my feet are so hard they are like hooves!  :o I've lost my sparkle for sure. I used to be very active and exercise but can't I have real funny turns! Shaking and exhaustion

I was on evorel patches & utrogestan and when the symptoms returned I increased the dose. Until I was on 100mg patch.  I felt OK the first few hours on patch change day and as a result I did more. However, then used to get severe exhaustion, almost like low blood sugars and then the migraine came. I was not sure if the patch was dumping all the oestrogen at once?

I went to see Prof studd in January. I was put on estrogel 3 pumps, utrogestan 10 days vaginally and testosterone  6.25mg per day. I started on 4 pumps of estrogel though, as this is equivalent to 100mg patch I was on and I was frightened to get a migraine if reduced oestrogen down. Didn't enjoy the oestrogen at first, had severe nausea, indigestion and split the pumps to am & pm which helped. My thyroid bloods came back borderline. So booked to see GP. It took 3 weeks to see them and my thyroid visibly swells can get so swollen it feels like my throat is blocking, but it goes down again? very weird!

Was sent for urgent referral to see head and neck consultant an my Father had thyroid cancer and paternal grand mother had pituitary cancer. He was so rude and very brief didn't see a problem as my new bloods were fine and no thyroid antibodies. Nonetheless, my thyroid is still swelling it's up and down like a brides nightie and since January. Had a ultra sound scan on my thyroid which showed nodules. My migraines have increased to twice a week every week! When this happens my thyroid swells visibly. No action to be taken re: thyroid, No one seems to give a damn. Why is it visibly swelling then reducing? Surely that is not normal??? I feel so ill and unable to function!

Do you think it could either be too much oestrogen or the testosterone adding to my problem? Doesn't oestrogen alter thyroxine levels?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

X

Hezzalady67!

Re: Could this be thyroid issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 02:31:43 PM »

Just to sympathise.

Also I wrote in another thyroid thread about having been through meno ages ago, but very recently felt ill ...blood tests showed high TSH, at 6,  feeling really ill and lacking energy,( like you I used to exercise a lot, but found it was taking me days to recover if I did my usual things) hair thinning and weight gain. I said I would feed back, but I can't find that thread.

In the finish, I asked to have a cortisol test, as I felt just like people with Cushings describing it online. This came back fine.

My TSH remains at 6, which is below the 'treatable? level of 10 as my thyroid readings are normal. GP has put me on an SSRI....very reluctantly agreed to try it but I am still convinced this is physical, not psychological. If anything this has slowed me down even more.

No chance of sorting it out right now, due to the current NHS pressures.

Good luck Eternalpunk, hope you get sorted,once things settle down.