Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Old fashioned sayings  (Read 69255 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Old fashioned sayings
« on: May 10, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »

Billy-do ....... is this in general useage or was it my Mum's invention?

Make your bed and lie in it

Don't come crying to me when it all goes wrong

Don't cry over split milk ..........

A friend was talking about food this morning and mentioned that he had a plate of sea-food piled like a Desperate Dan's dinner so we got to wondering whether anyone of the current generation would understand a DD dinner .......... ???

Wolflady

Re: Old fashioned sayings
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »

Hello CLKD :)

Billy-do isn't something I've heard before. Can you tell me what it means please? Sorry for being thick. :)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 06:32:44 PM »

Do you mean billet-doux?   It's a love letter.  ;)

Don't be impressed with my French BTW, I did it as a schoolgirl and it's pretty rusty! :-[

louise

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »

My mum used to say of stupid people  "If brains were dynamite - he wouldn't have enough to blow his hat off" 

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:43:59 PM »

Desperate Dan is still around so this generation will definitely know what a Desperate Dan Dinner is.

I think the saying is "You made your bed so now you lie in it" Well, that's what my mum used to say to me when I had made a wrong choice anyway.

Suffolk saying for people who were mean with their money "He wouldn't give you the drippings off his nose" 

Taz x

Jax

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »

THE 1500'S

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water.

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof.Hence the saying . It's raining cats and dogs.

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house..This posed a real problem in the bed-room where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, Dirt poor. The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence the saying a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving left-overs in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while.Hence the rhyme, Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, bring home the bacon. They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around andchew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a ..dead ringer.

And that's the truth...Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !

Ellen

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »

Thanks for that Jax.  It was very interesting.  Thank goodness for progression.  I would hate not to have my daily bath and perish the thought of only one a year.  My husband tells me that when he lived at home his father got the bath first then his mother followed by him and then his brother and that would have been in the sixties.  Even worse was the fact that his father drove the train at the local pit which carried the coal. :o 

We have a graveyard which has a headstone saying something like born once died twice.  A woman had died, been buried and grave robbers came to dig up the grave and remove jewellery from the bodies.  Unbeknown to them the woman was in a coma and when they cut her finger she woke up, they scarpered and she went home to the amazement of her husband.

Ellen xx

louise

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »

Yes, thanks for that Jax, absolutely fascinating.
A lot of our sayings come from nautical terms.  My Dad was a marine engineer and used to tell me what all the sayings meant.  I've forgotten most of them...but here are a few...
Above Board - We use it to mean that everything is legal - Early trading ships would hide illegal cargo below deck and the legal cargo was on view on the deck above board.
In the Doldrums -  We use this expression when we are depressed or sad.  The Doldrums is the name of a place near the equator and is characterised by unstable trade winds.  If a ship got caught there it would literally be stuck in the Doldrums for days.
Down the Hatch is a drinking expression and has it's origins in the cargo being lowered into the hatch for transport below deck.
We use many nautical terms in our conversation today and we are completely unaware of it.

Louise

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »

Thanks for all that info Jax.  My mum was born in 1919 and the weekly bath was still a shared event. She was one of eight children (four boys and four girls). They used to bath on a monday night (clean undies for Tuesday morning and clean sheets for the monday night) in a tin bath in front of the fire. Dad would go first, followed by all the boys, then the girls and finally her mum.

How about the phrase "get down to the nitty gritty"?  This goes back to the slave ships. When the ships docked the sailors were allowed their pick of the women slaves before they were sold off. The first men got the better slaves until it was down to the ones right in the bottom of the ship. They were riddled with disease and lice and nits plus being extremely dirty - hence Nitty and Gritty. Ever since I found out the meaning I have hated anyone using this phrase.

Taz xx

tiilycat

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:15:21 AM »

An old lancashire saying was  "put wood inth ole"  (put the wood in the hole) meaning close the door.

Another one is "hey up" meaning look at that, i still say that one. 

Tilly.x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:54:57 AM »

We have a history of 'sayings' then - 'born in a barn'    -     if someone didn't shut the door!

Elyse

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »

Put the wood in the hole - we used to say that (Tyneside)

My mother's mother used to say " fools and bairns should see nowt half done" meaning someone foolish or a child would see something incomplete and assume it was wrong usually by interrupting.  I find this saying applies more to men than fools or kids !

we sued to say "were you born in a field ?" when someone left a door open.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »

Yep I meant billet-doux - didn't do any French language except in Ballet classes  ;D

"He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer"

"If he were any sharper he would cut himself"

Elyse

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »

;D

"He's a few sandwiches short of a picnic".
"He/she has got a few slates missing"
"not the sharpest tool in the box".

My Nanna who was a Scot used to say
"I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea"
She also maintained eating bread crusts would make your hair curl.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »

Carrots make you see in the dark
Do unto others .......

May kittens [with runny eyes born in April/May were often not good doers  :'( ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9