Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Every Women needs to read this!🌹  (Read 7740 times)

Kathleen

Re: Every Women needs to read this!🌹
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »

Hello again ladies.

The reading I've done included reports of the thyroid being erratic so a person can have hypothyroidism but experience episodes of hyperthyroidism.  Add that to the mood swings of the meno and you have a horrible hormonal mess!

Tc - I wonder if the approach of diagnose first then test to confirm is at fault sometimes. I realise that doctors can't test for everything but as you say if the wrong test has been ordered no one is any the wiser.

Stellajane -  I certainly have eyebrows, infact they would be hard to miss! I was a teenager in the seventies when the fashion was for very thin brows so we all plucked them mercilessly. Our mothers told us not to as it would ruin them but hey, what do mothers know! Turns out they were right and I have been letting mine grow in naturally for years. Due to the over plucking they have some gaps but on the whole they are as nature intended. I see the fashion now is to paint them on or is it micro blading and  temporary tattoos? All of which is too much effort for me these days.

Take care ladies.

K.

Wrensong

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 02:55:17 PM »

Just to second what Stellajane says about eyebrow loss - losing the outer third is classic for hypothyroidism.  Mine are intact on stable thyroid meds & still plucked & trimmed to tidy, but at times when the dose has needed changing eyebrow loss has again been a feature - usually more one side than the other  ::)!  They've grown back each time & are currently symmetrical, but have thinned with age as sadly, have my lashes which as Tc has posted about hers, have also become shorter.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »

micro-blading  :o and painting in .......... mine are SO untidy due to threading 6 years ago  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »

;D. speak for yourself  :lol:

Penelope

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 01:29:35 AM »

Hi CLKD I have found out recently that doctors only test for TSH.
If it is normal then that is it you are normal.

And antidepressants are prescribed.
They have no further training.

Unlike doctors in the 1960s- 1980 that went on no blood tests at all but went on symptoms.

They would suspect thyroid and try you on medication to see how you went.

Before antidepressants were even given a second thought.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »

It is up to the patient to be pro-active.  To ask the GP for a referral to the appropriate speciality what ever the condition [male/female].  It isn't up to a GP to decide which treatment a patient has - if the patient continues to present with symptoms suggestive of, he/she has a Duty of Care to get the best possible end result. 

GPs are hugely tied up with appt. time constraints and budgets.  Many conditions of course cause intense tiredness which makes it hard work to press for treatment. I remember how I was simply unable to be forceful enough to explain how I was feeling when I was deeply depressed.

Tc

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 10:04:19 AM »

Stellajane.  Thank you.  I havent said about my eyebrows to my doc yet.  I will do. .  I had 3 tests
In October.
TSH         2.34 mu/l    range  0.27 - 4.20
Free T4    16 pmo/l      range  12.00 - 22
Free T3     5.1 pmo/l range 3.10 - 6.80

So it all looks normal range.doesnt it?

Unfortunately my gp  is one of those who does point to tests over symptoms.   With my b12 for example the range is 191 - 663 and mine is 215. .  she insists as it's normal range it doesnt need treatment.  The fact that it's so low within the range and I have symptoms seems to make no difference. 

CLKD.  I agree about being pro active but it can sometimes be hard to do so when you are feeling low and vulnerable.  I feel as though the fact I have mixed anxiety depression and EUPD on my notes is a convenient hook for them to hang everything on.

Xx

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 02:46:31 PM »

It was like wading through treacle at times  :'( and when I took my dog to the Vets I wasn't able to advocate well for her either  :-\  :'(

If I was in a situation regarding thyroid symptoms I would contact my local Hospital and speak to the appropriate consultant's secretary for advice.  Then hi-tail it to my GP  ;) when well I'm Bolshie  :-X

Feather

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 04:18:54 PM »

My mum has asked to go back to her original dose but has been told that it would be harmful! She is 85 and was born before the NHS existed so she is of that generation who do what they are told by doctors! I have spoken to her Gp who seems very reasonable, but I don't know enough about the condition to get to the bottom of the issues. Her quality of life is so much poorer than it should be!

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »

MayB ask your Mum what differences she has noted and what she thinks would help?  Put the ball into her Court so that she can make an informed decision?  Explain that if differences are upsetting her it might be worth pushing for the other dose to see if she feels better? 

Difficult if she is passive. 

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »

Tests should be done and not simply remove a medication though  :-\.  It should be done under supervision?

Penelope

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 07:18:41 PM »

Wow Stellajane you are sooo lucky to have a doctor that still practices like the old school ones he is a gem and try to hang onto him as long as you can.

Yes I am saying antidepressants should be given after hormone therapy has been tried first especially in women.
I took antidepressants for 26 years that did nothing.And you here the same comments on this forum over and over that there antidepressants are not working.

90 days on HRT and I am finally getting my life back!🌹

Wrensong

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »

Hi Feather, I'm so sorry to hear your poor Mum's QOL has suffered for her Thyroxine dose being lowered.  It is said we need less as we age, as Stellajane mentioned.  I don't know whether your Mum has other medical conditions that might lead her GP to be cautious & reduce her dose, but either way I think I'd want to explain to him that I felt worse for his action if I were your Mum.  But I do understand her reluctance to question his decision - my Mum was the same in terms of reverence for her doctors.  A difficult position for you when you are understandably concerned for your Mum's welfare but the GP's attitude also seems reasonable to you.  I don't know whether confidentiality issues might prevent him going into more details with you about his decision, but maybe see if you can get him to tell you why what he's done is necessary?
Wx

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2020, 07:37:55 PM »

Maybe get Power of Attorney which allows more freedom of medical sharing.  You could ask the question of "Do older people need less X, Y, Z and why?" which may give an idea of why your Mum's dose has been cut?

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »

:thankyou:  stellajane
Pages: 1 [2] 3