Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New here and not looking forward to what lies ahead...  (Read 2238 times)

Kg1974

New here and not looking forward to what lies ahead...
« on: February 14, 2020, 12:34:46 PM »

Hello, I'm 45 and have a 9cm fibroid. My consultant told me on Wednesday that if a further scan in a few months shows it has grown again (it was 4.5cm 4yrs ago) he will remove it but "at my age and given that I dont need my womb anymore" they would do a hysterectomy so I'd need to go on HRT. Thanks!
I'm a bit worried that I'll put on weight and get hairy and moody overnight and having read some of these posts, it sounds par for the course. I'm sure if this happened to men they'd have figured out how to deal with it better by now. Can it really take months/years before you start feeling ok again?
5 yrs ago I was told I was perimenopausal so was put on the coil, antidpressants and eostrogen gel. I put a stone on in a matter of weeks. Turns out my bloods were actually fine and my new doctor told me she had no idea why I'd been put on all of that but it certainly put me off. I've been on the mini pill for the last 2 yrs and it's been great. I know it's vain to not want to gain weight and there are worse things that could happen in life but aside from the fibroid, I feel fitter and healthier than I did in my 20s and don't want that to change. Could diet and exercise get me through without HRT?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here and not looking forward to what lies ahead...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »

This is your body.  Is the fibroid causing particular problems?  Why would a Consultant do major surgery ......... what is your main symptom with it insitu?

Bet he's a man with NO knowledge of HRT!  I wouldn't let him touch my body with a barge pole at this stage.

It isn't apparently fast growing?  Can it not be removed or is there not a method to reduce the fibroid?  Why go into surgical menopause when you will get there eventually anyway?

I would ask your GP for a referral to a menopause clinic B4 you sign a consent form.   ;). Get the low-down on what HRT is available post  hysterectomy .  There is no reason to gain weight and hairy chins can be kept under control with a good light and tweezers  ;)

Kg1974

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »

Can't they leave your ovaries? I had multiple fibroids which made life unbearable,huge clots etc and I had a vaginal hysterectomy with ovaries left,then you can ease into meno,if ease is the correct word  :o

He said it was too big to remove vaginally so I'd have to have it cut out and they wouldn't just remove a fibroid at my age.
I'd like to keep my ovaries as they're perfectly healthy.

Kg1974

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »

This is your body.  Is the fibroid causing particular problems?  Why would a Consultant do major surgery ......... what is your main symptom with it insitu?

Bet he's a man with NO knowledge of HRT!  I wouldn't let him touch my body with a barge pole at this stage.

It isn't apparently fast growing?  Can it not be removed or is there not a method to reduce the fibroid?  Why go into surgical menopause when you will get there eventually anyway?

I would ask your GP for a referral to a menopause clinic B4 you sign a consent form.   ;). Get the low-down on what HRT is available post  hysterectomy .  There is no reason to gain weight and hairy chins can be kept under control with a good light and tweezers  ;)

As I'm on the minipill I've no bleeding of any kind. The only issue is lower back pain and cramping plus of course I can see and feel it. I can live with it as it is but not if it's going to end up the size of a watermelon in another 4yrs. The medication option would mean I'd have to come off the pill so that's no good.
I dont know why they cant just take it out instead of having to have a hysterectomy

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 04:51:09 PM »

Kg,
I had to calm down, before I replied.
Please, please, please get a 2nd opinion. Then a 3rd.
And do not under any circumstances let than man fiddle about with your ovaries.
I'm 47, last year (when I was 46) I had one ovary removed after being told I wouldn't go into menopause. 36 hours after the surgery, bam ... I was hit by eveything. It has ruined my life.
I too was on the minipill. I'm now on HRT and ADs. I'm about to add anti anxiety meds. I've put on 2 stones (after working hard a few years ago to lose 3). I struggle to drive. I don't want to leave the house. In fact, I dont want to leave my bed. I lost my job a week ago.
Good on you for coming here and getting advice. I wish I had done the same.
Surely the fibroid can be removed vaginally. Ok, you may need a general anaesthetic. But babies heads are bigger than that ??!!
Don't rush into anything, and don't be pressured into doing anything you don't think is right for you.
Best, Pants.

Kg1974

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 05:37:35 PM »

Kg,
I had to calm down, before I replied.

How do I reply without quoting everything??!!
Anyway OMG  :o I DO NOT WANT TO BE IN YOUR SHOES!
I will definitely seek another opinion and not one of a man. I quite like the idea of having a womb actually. It was like he was suggesting removal of just a fibroid was a waste of time. He said the fibroid was the size of a small baby's head and would "make a mess" of my vagina if removed that way. I've had a baby thanks. I'm sure it can cope with 9cm
I really don't want to gain weight and the last time I was on a combo of ADs, patches and the coil that's what happened. I wasn't even depressed until I started not fitting any clothes!!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 05:38:42 PM »

I agree.  Don't let anyone remove the womb/ovaries   .............   if you are otherwise healthy: and this isn't going to cause cancer: it is your womb!  Is the Consultant working on a private basis, if so I can understand his wanting to remove ....... not that I'm cynical.  :-\. Is it that should a piece be left behind it might cause further problems? 

It is there for a purpose.  OK so that purpose goes away as we age but if it's healthy .......... certainly get other opinions.  If it's large now, although it seems to have been slow growing; why didn't they remove it previously  :-\

Hysterectomy is major surgery.  It also brings up hormonal problems which are overlooked by surgeons keen to whip it all out! 

I think there is a group: "Hystersisters" - you might like to ask on there. 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »

NHS web-site

Treating fibroids

Fibroids don't need to be treated if they aren't causing symptoms. Over time, they'll often shrink and disappear without treatment, particularly after the menopause.

If you do have symptoms caused by fibroids, medication to help relieve the symptoms will usually be recommended first.

There are also medications available to help shrink fibroids. If these prove ineffective, surgery or other, less invasive procedures may be recommended.

Apparently triggered by oestrogen ......... so as levels drop off the fibroid should shrink?    There is a lot of info on NHS Fibroids so it may be worth having a look-see ?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:43:18 PM by CLKD »

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »

My shoes are the only things that still fit me !!  ;D  >:(
I appreciate you don't want to come of the minipill to take meds to shrink it. I was on the minipill for 12 years, no periods, no mood swings. Heaven.
But, if you could take meds to shrink it over a few months, then get it removed when it is a bit smaller ... that would be a good plan. Fibroid gone. Bits all intact. Back on the minipill .... happy days ?
xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 06:09:48 PM »

Time to make a list of your worries and to explore other methods of treating this? 

Kg1974

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 07:59:52 PM »

I agree.  Don't let anyone remove the womb/ovaries   .............   if you are otherwise healthy: and this isn't going to cause cancer: it is your womb!  Is the Consultant working on a private basis, if so I can understand his wanting to remove ....... not that I'm cynical.  :-\. Is it that should a piece be left behind it might cause further problems? 

It is there for a purpose.  OK so that purpose goes away as we age but if it's healthy .......... certainly get other opinions.  If it's large now, although it seems to have been slow growing; why didn't they remove it previously  :-\

Hysterectomy is major surgery.  It also brings up hormonal problems which are overlooked by surgeons keen to whip it all out! 

I think there is a group: "Hystersisters" - you might like to ask on there.

It's all rather bizarre. I went to see a nurse in January who sent me to a doctor who had a poke around then referred me for the 3rd scan (4yrs after the last one)  There was a male student doing the scan but the lady had a go after him and said I'd get a letter with results in a few weeks. 1 week later I get a phone call from the gynae dept at hospital offering me an appointment with the consultant that day. At this point i was convinced I had cancer (my ex husband died of cancer 2yrs ago so I'm a bit paranoid already) and a bit panicky. A biopsy was mentioned which flipped me out but when i got to the appointment the consultant said there was no need for one but i could have one if i liked (no ta, I've googled them) so he said see how it is in a few months then whip the lot out. I was shocked and cried all the way home. I haven't told anyone yet and I'm glad I didnt as it sounds like I can just leave things as they are and hope it goes away on it's own eventually.
His bedside manner left alot to be desired.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »

...... and breath!

Make that list: pros and cons of how the fibroid affects you on a daily basis
Have a good browse round the various web-sites - medic lead where possible - make notes.
Pros and cons of surgery: is it necessary; who will look after you post op.; do you feel at this point in time that it will resolve your symptoms; would you prefer to see if a drop of oestrogen will shrink the fibroid

'a few months' - did U get a follow up appt. for the scan? 

See if there is a menopause clinic that you could go to for advice.  Maybe do a 'search'.  Don't go to a gynaecologist, but a reputable clinic that deals with menopause.  Dr Newson for example, I think near Stratford upon Avon.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »

Kg, don't be panicked into making a rash decision.
I have had cancer twice, and when a mass was found near my ovary, I just went into autopilot, got it all removed, then regreted it later. I felt rushed into it and I did no research. I also didn't tell anyone what was going on. Don't be like me !!
You are doing so well to find us here and ask for advice. Get another opinion, at least. Look at medication options to shrink it and remove it. But don't ignore it, hoping it will go away on its own. That's not the right answer either.
xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 10:07:32 AM »

Hi pants46!   :thankyou:

I suppose it depends on how the fibroid is 'fixed'?  I imagine that it's on a stalk  ::) so if pulled it may leave problems behind? 

If you aren't in acute pain etc. maybe due lots of research ?  Make notes ;-).

Kg1974

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 01:21:36 PM »

So can i ask if i might be perimenopausal now.. receding gums, thinning, brittle hair, dizziness, mood swings, forgetfulness, night sweats, elbow pain. Maybe I should get some blood tests done next time I see the doctor about my next scan...
Pages: [1] 2