Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hi think I?m in denial!  (Read 2985 times)

Fiona77

Hi think I?m in denial!
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:57:55 PM »

I'm 42 and went to see my GP with a range of symptoms (mostly occasional hot flushes, night sweats, trouble sleeping and mood swings), before I knew it I'm being sent for a bone density scan (came back normal), blood tests (normal) and given a prescription for HRT gel (Estradil).  I didn't fill the prescription for two months and ignored it, I hadn't even guessed it could be hormones.  Anyway, I've just filled the prescription and am going to apply the first gel dose tonight.  I've no idea what to expect.
Did anyone else struggle to accept that they were in perimenopause and early menopause?

Fiona77

Re: Hi think I?m in denial!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:59:05 PM »

No idea why the apostrophe is appearing as a question mark in my post, sorry.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:36:04 AM »

Hi Fiona don't worry about the question marks .... it's a glitch in the system .

I won't say I was in denial about peri menopause .... I just didn't realise that all my horrific symptoms were due to menopause . Now I'm on Oestrogel I'm doing really well.

Have you been prescribed a progesterone too? X

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »

Hi Fiona77.
Welcome to the forum.
I sailed through peri, didn't even realise, but then I had a lot going on a that time. It wasn't until I became post meno ( or nearly) when all my symptoms came out.
Thought I was dying, with some disease I'd got, felt so poorly. Also felt I was going mad.
Had a hard time excepting it was menopause because I didn't understand how hormones could cause so much trouble and make you feel so ill.
After starting on HRT, and switching and tweaking, I've settled on Femoston Conti. And I'm much better.
Remember though, it doesn't happen over night. It may take a bit to start kicking in and helping you feel better. Good luck. Keep posting. Let us know how your getting on.
Someone's always on to offer advice.
Hope they gave you  progesterone too, you?ll need it if you still have your womb. As Dotty has already mentioned.
Xx.                   

Hi Dotty....👋🏼

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »

I'd say..... Let it sink in and go forth. I am your age and spent 2 awful years not realising that my symptoms could be hormonal, especially as the gp kept saying not!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »

HRT will protect bones and heart.  Brisk exercise.  Good diet.  Keep hydrated.  Lots of 'me' time  ;)

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/diary is useful.

:welcomemm:

Fiona77

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »

Thanks everyone for the welcome and all your advice and support!  I'm on Estradiol gel (lose dose 0.5g), applied the first dose last night and had a headache and nausea all day today, could be a coincidence though, I?ll stick with it though.  The GP said because I have the Nexplanon implant, I don't need anymore progesterone. 

Had a hot flush at work this morning though, it's so embarrassing. My hair was wet through.  A lady on another desk gave me a fan to use, ha ha.  Everyone else had their heaters on and warm clothes, and I was stripping off with a fan on me! Ha ha.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 07:47:53 PM »

Even though my flushes have stopped, I still have a fan on at night while I'm in bed.
Just in case! 🤷‍♀️ 😆
I'm soooo used to it. For it to be not there anymore would be like my arms been chopped off! 😆
xx

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 07:55:13 PM »

Hi that's a very low dose of oestrogen . You may need to increase it.

It may be worth checking that the implant gives you enough progesterone as usually you have to take a separate progesterone alongside any thing you use for contraception x

Fiona77

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »

Dotty yes I will, I think because the oestrogen I'm starting on is such a low dose, they GP said the implant would be enough.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 10:04:42 PM »

I suggest that you ask for a referral to a Menopause Clinic - not a Gynae appt. as they don't know much more than GPs  ::).

Foxylady

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 10:30:18 AM »

I have to say I was relieved when eventually got the diagnosis! I had 3 years of symptoms (told categorically not meno) under endocrinology (I have underactive thyroid) and Immunology as noone seemed to know what was going on with me.
Anyway the alternative diagnosis that were being banded about were extremely worrying/scary so huge relief for me & feeling that HRT would be the answer as I had done my research and new given my age (41yr when I started HRT) and quality of life it was a no brainer for me!
HRT has made a HUGE difference to my life, my biggest and unresolved issue is insomnia (although far better than it was). Started new HRT and increased doseage on Tues this week and so far so good!! All the best Fiona77, let us know how you get on. x

Jari

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »

Hi Fiona

I did not have bad symptoms through peri. Did not take anything. Since my periods stopped and now post menopause I did get quite intense hot flushes. I started to change my diet ( a natural hormone balancing diet) and exercise etc and the symptoms decreased a lot, now just occasional mild flushes. I would rather that than take hrt, which I tried for a short 3 months, but I put on a lot of weight and main problem was it gave me other bad symptoms. Inc breathing difficulty. These side effects should all be listed on your pack ( not sure which one you?re taking)

Keeping hormones balanced will reduce symptoms. X

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »

Hi Fiona77

:welcomemm:

I agree with Dotty about the progestogen in the implant and would want a second opinion on that especially if you decide you need to increase the dose (because it is not licensed for use as the progestogen component of HRT). The product info for Nexplanon doesn't mention what effect this form of contraception has on estradiol levels so it may be that you are experiencing low oestrogen (and hence the sweats etc) but may not yet be far into menopause? Not really sure how it works? You might want to ask for a blood test for estradiol in your position, after you have been using the gel for a while but if so make sure the blood is not taken from the same arm as you apply the gel ( if to arms) and also not when estradiol levels are at their peak so eg in the morning if you apply in the evening or vice versa - so as to avoid false readings. They are pretty inaccurate anyway and symptoms shoild be the best guide....

ANyway it is important at your young age to make sure you get sufficient oestrogen so if necessary and you need to increase oestrogen you might want to think about changing to the Mirena coil which also acts as a contraceptive as well as endometrial protection (womb lining)? Very serious side effects are rare so don't be alrmed by Jari's experience!

As always - diet, exercise and lifestyle are especially important as our bodies are changing and to stand us in good stead for our future health. This alone cannot "balance hormones" though - whatever that means!  ::)

Good luck on your journey and do let us know how you get on as things progress!

Hurdity x

Dotty

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 08:38:49 PM »

Hi I agree with a Hurdity not to listen to Jari and other people who try scaremongering tactics with side effects of hrt. I have had no side effects whatsoever with hrt. X
Pages: [1] 2