Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Please get skin blemishes checked out  (Read 2307 times)

Sparrow

Please get skin blemishes checked out
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »

This is from one of my posts on another thread but I thought it was important enough to have a thread of its own.

I have recently been diagnosed with Actinic keratosis (solar keratosis), which is as a result of sun damage. It has to be treated as it can sometimes turn cancerous so I am waiting for a follow up appointment. Treatment will probably include scraping or freezing away the affected skin or a caustic cream.

I have had a couple of patches on my nose for about three years which looked like aged spots but sometimes became dry and rough.  This summer other people started to notice and I was talked into going to the doctor by my husband and son.

I now use a factor 50 face cream on my face and neck plus E45  rich and creamy 24hr on my nose. I have also started a course of vitamins for skin health and protection.  My GP suspects there are one or two other patches emerging on my cheeks.

So do be careful.  Get anything new or persistant checked out.  Also make sure your face cream has sun protection of at least factor 20.  Many well know branded moisturisers have no sun protection or very little, so check.

PS. This condition is not always brown,  like age spots. They can be pink or skin coloured as well.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/actinic-keratoses/

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Please get skin blemishes checked out
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »

:thankyou:

Two hoots

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:15:47 AM »

Growing up in the 1960's sunburn was a part of summer, I don't remember ever having sun cream applied  :o so we should all be made aware of any changes in our skin.  Good on your family for making you go to see your doctor Shadyglade, I hope everything turns out to be harmless for you  :)

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »

Thanks for that Shadyglade I've got something on my arm I keep meaning to have checked out - although I don't think it's anything sinister I think it's been caused by too many foreign holidays. I always use factor 50 on my face though (don't want wrinkles) x

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »

My sister had a wart like spot on the side of her face,just in her hairline
I  urged her to get it checked as she has a fair skin too,
She ended up having the surgeon dig deep into her cheek, and then told me off for putting her through it, she doesn't know what it was she said he never told her, she tests my patience sometimes ,as she will not go to the Dr, she was badly bitten by a rescue dog she got, it almost took the skin off her hand,well it did take a lot off down to the bone, she just bandaged it up,   finally her daughter made her go,and she got a right royal rollicking from the Dr, and a tetanus jab, ::)
If it was me i would be there on the step waiting for them to open ;D,i don't take chances with my health, but having said that have not been for ages, apart from to do with HRT

Countrygirl

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »

I found this thread whilst searching sun damage, I have acne vulgaris so my skin is always bad but I noticed a skin coloured spot near my mouth that hasn't changed in a couple of months. So I finally got up the courage to ask the gp and was told it was sun damage and that they need to freeze it off as it could change.

I never thought for a minute it would be anything like that as I'm a spotty forty something and yes fair skinned so I guess I should of been more aware, but due to never having been abroad I assumed wrongly I couldn't be affected.

So as shadyglade said please do get skin changes checked out even if you do just think it's your health anxiety going into overdrive like I did x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »

Well done for taking your mouth to the GP!  If in doubt ask for an opinion.

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »

Well done.  Mine has been treated and gone but now will apply factor 30 or 40 to my face, all year.  Apparently damage is possible even in the shade.  ::)

squeaker99

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »

Thanks for this. It is so good to be reminded that you need to carry on getting things checked.
I have a small raised blister like spot on the side of my nose. Sometimes I catch it and it bleeds.
After reading an article on skin damage I decided to do the right things and get it check out.

The lady GP looked at me in disbelief and said - you have come to see me because of a teeny, tiny
spot on your nose. I felt totally ridiculous, like she was implying I was there from a vanity point of view.
I do have health anxiety and some of the better GPs always tell me to come back if I'd worried about anything
and ' that is what they are there for'. I found out later that it is probably a collapsed pore - but she didn't even
tell me that - just made me feel like a total time waster.

I wish I had a thick skin like my DH who would just have brushed it off and said ' well I pay my tax luv " .....
Our clinic finally has a once a month Meno GP - but it is impossible to get an appointment with her! (Plus
who want to wait a month if you are worried about something).

jaycee

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 11:12:41 PM »

Talking about sun creams there was a Dr on TV i think it was Chris Steele who said even  some sun screening creams had cancer causing ingredients in them , he said no one needs over SPF 30
So not as safe as people think sometimes

Sparrow

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 11:20:59 PM »

The consultant told me to us SPF30 but finding a decent face cream that suits is a nightmare.  I have made a couple of very expensive mistakes and have now settled on Clinique, Super City Block which just happened to be SPF40.  That will have to do.  ::)

Also, forgive me if I'd rather not rely on health advice give by a 'day time TV doc'.  There are far better sources out there.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:59:35 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »

Not a good bedside manner, that, squeaker!  A sharp kick next time B4 you tell her your worries ;-)

Have a look-see what they use as skin block in Oz?

Tc

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 12:55:09 PM »

Thank you shadyglade. I'm very glad it's been successfully treated  :foryou:

Thanks for that info too. BeaR.

Might I add the importance of applying protection around the sides and back of the neck . Around under and on the ears.  Plus wearing hats.  Many of us have short hair or tie our hair up in the sun and these areas get missed out on application.  My mums was high on the side of neck behind her ear.

Xxx