Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Omega 3  (Read 2432 times)

Jari

Omega 3
« on: February 10, 2020, 07:47:32 PM »

Any ladies going through menopause and aiming to balance their hormones naturally, Omega 3 is important, as it makes up a big part of a hormone balancing diet. Found in sardines, salmon, mackerel and flaxseeds.

The emphasis must be on omega 3 and not omega 6

Omega 3 fatty acids are powerful anti-inflammatoires. We get plenty of omega 6 generally in vegetable oils, ready meals, snacks etc. 

Omega 3 helps with: dry hair, fraying nails, painful joints, arthritis, mood swings, dry skin, lack of motivation, fatigue...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:46:00 PM by Jari »

sheila99

Re: Omega 3
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:36:07 PM »

Omega 3 is important for everyone. I think the recommendation is 2 portions of oily fish per week.

prestige

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »

I try to eat 2/3 portions of oily fish like salmon/sardines etc. I also take Cod Liver Oil supplement. It has a lot of vitamin D which helps with calcium absorption.

Jari

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 04:55:10 PM »

Hi Stellajane, I get mine through supplements and 2 spoons of ground flaxseeds every day on muesli.

I take 1000mg a day with EPA and DHA.

Sheila99. Very true. I was meaning it's very important for women doing a natural menopause as it plays a big part in helping to balance our own hormones. X

Jari

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »

Thanks prestige. Also I believe D3 is meant to be best as it is nearly twice as effective. X

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »

I agree having a good diet (but minimal supplements) is absolutely essential for all women especially at menopause whether or not they take HRT. It is not possible to "balance hormones" through diet - but it will set you on the road to better health to make sure you are not deficient in any essential vitamins or minerals....

Yes to lots of oily fish and fish in general and perhaps a cod liver oil supplement - I have a glug of this (oil) about once a week in winter just to keep my vit D topped up as we eat less fish in winter - because we (well husband mainly) aren't catching any!

Smoked salmon and sardines girls?

Hurdity x