Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caffeine  (Read 4581 times)

Jari

Caffeine
« on: February 10, 2020, 01:06:17 PM »

I really like my coffee in the mornings so this is a bit of a problem, but, I am going to try to reduce my caffeine intake.

Has anyone noticed improvements from giving up caffeine in soft drinks, energy drinks, coffee/tea?

I have been reading about caffeine. It is a stimulant which activates our adrenal (stress) gland and they produce a form of estrogen to help protect bones as we go through menopause, so we do not want to overwork them.

It also causes blood vessels to expand which can increase hot flushes.

Caffeine has an addictive effect on the body so it is better to wean off rather than go cold turkey.

Unfortunately chemicals are used to remove caffeine in decaf drinks so are not recommended if aiming to reduce toxic load on body.

Has anyone stopped caffeine altogether and if so, what are the benefits you have noticed?

Sparrow

Re: Caffeine
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 01:23:45 PM »

I developed a real problem with caffeine during early peri.  I developed vision problems which took months to diagnose and it wasn't until I had an emergency hospital appointment I found out it was 'silent migraine'.  Consequently I gave up caffeine completely for about 5 years.  Now I drink mainly decaf but I can get away with the odd caffeinated.   Too much and my vision 'goes off' and I feel total panic. I never had a problem before peri so it just shows how the change in hormones affects your bodies responses.

As for going cold turkey I did this.  I had a blinding headaches for about a week and then as that went so did my vision problems.  As for chemicals used to decaffeinate, this is now old news and now many companies use a water method.  Even with the chemical method the amount remaining is barely trace as roasting destroys the chemicals.   Buy good quality brand and if you are concerned check with the producer.

https://coffeeconfidential.org/health/decaffeination/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:29:55 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »

I drink small bottles of coke every day.  Probably 3.   I am not affected by a buzz or anything  :-\

Coffee smells lovely but makes me nauseous. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:47:15 PM by CLKD »

Jari

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »

That is very interesting with the vision problems. I will be interested to see if my vision improves as I cut down.

I do like chocolate but do not have much anymore.

I usually have 3 mugs of coffee every morning. This is a full average cafeti?re and that is it for the day.
I think I will start by making half a cafeti?re instead and start by halving my intake.

I have a coke every now and then but not very often. Sometimes on a hot summers day with ice.

Thanks for the link, that is interesting re decaf! X

catlover68

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:47:45 PM »

Hi

I've cut back on my caffeine intake and I feel a bit better. I have a cup of decaf tea when I wake up then around 8.30 I do have a cappuccino with caffeine. I drink lots of water during the day then a decaf cappuccino in the afternoon. I rarely drink coke or anything fizzy. I've also cut my alcohol intake right back as I'm just so intolerant now. I may have the odd bottle of fruit cider or gin and tonic but 'that's not often nowadays.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 11:28:26 PM »

I've cut it out completely before and can't say I noticed any difference. This was before peri and I only drank max 3 a day, usually 1 or 2. <I'm inclined to think it's like most things, a little is fine, too much isn't.

Jari

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »

That's interesting you feel a bit better Catlover. I am going to start by cutting it down by half. Going cold turkey would be too much for me I think. It is funny to think I must be addicted to caffeine.
I?ll try to keep posted if it makes a difference. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »

'addicted'  :-\

Affected.  Maybe.   I had a friend in the 1980s who swore by de-caff and apparently was unable to sleep if it wasn't.  By mistake I gave her ordinary tea at bedtime the whole week she stayed with us: she reported a 'good night's sleep' every morning  ::)

DH drinks LOTS of coffee every day.  Never notices any effects other than he likes the good quality coffee that he chooses. 

I eat a lot of chocolate in the week of various types .............. never has any effect  :-\

Jari

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 08:23:24 AM »

Yes it seems to have an addictive effect, not as bad as some prescribed drugs, nicotine etc but nevertheless, it causes these withdrawal side effects.

I remember stopping cold turkey many years ago and I got really bad headaches..

On my second cup already and almost forgot I am trying to half the dose.. no more today! 😂

I have bought some Clipper nettle and mint tea which is really nice..

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »

I think it's a bit addictive too. If you're used to it in the morning and cut it out you do feel it. Interesting about headaches though. They're not something I get often but when I do I have a craving for coffee.

Barnacle

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »

I am trying, but failing miserably, to cut my coffee intake down. I am on the hunt for a good decaf, because all of the ones i have tried so far, just don't do it for me. And yes, i do think i might be slightly addicted to it. Any recs would be greatly appreciated.   

Sparrow

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 11:31:50 AM »

Dhoue Egberts do a really good decaf instant.

Barnacle

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »

Dhoue Egberts do a really good decaf instant.

I'm doing my online supermarket shop later, so i will pop some in my basket, thank you!

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »

I am trying, but failing miserably, to cut my coffee intake down. I am on the hunt for a good decaf, because all of the ones i have tried so far, just don't do it for me. And yes, i do think i might be slightly addicted to it. Any recs would be greatly appreciated.   

I don't do instant but I like Taylors decaff ground coffee and now going over to beans to grind fresh every day so I would welcome ideas for good decaff beans (if it's even possible to get them?).

However I do like my caffeine too - and I think actually it can be quite beneficial in small doses rather than harmful (so my son tells me but I haven't looked up any info!)?

Hurdity x

Barnacle

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 07:24:58 PM »

However I do like my caffeine too - and I think actually it can be quite beneficial in small doses rather than harmful (so my son tells me but I haven't looked up any info!)?

Hurdity x

I think it has fairly high levels of antioxidants, which is good. Personally, i am a big believer in "a little of what you fancy" etc.....
I know a few people, my sister included, who use Lavazza decaf beans, although i have never used them.
Pages: [1] 2