Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Weighted Blankets  (Read 1705 times)

groundhog

Weighted Blankets
« on: February 02, 2020, 03:34:04 PM »

Hi ladies,
Has anyone invested in one of the these?  A,so called Therapy Blankets.  The idea behind them is they are heavier than a normal blanket ( about 10% of your body weight) and are supposed to help with anxiety and help with relaxation.  There are a few online but they are about ?100 so not sure if worth it.  They look and sound like something I would use but I'd rather speak to someone who has bought one .
Thank you ladies

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Weighted Blankets
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »

Hi Groundhog.
Someone posted about these on another thread, said they were good.
I don't know about the blankets, but I'm with the theory, as I feel much better with a weight over me, so I invested in a good duck feather and down duvet. Much heavier than my old polyester one. Makes me feel better when I'm in the midst of anxiety.
Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »

I would suggest going to an antique shop/fair and buying a quilt, one made in the 1940s/50s.  I have 2 and they weigh lovely on the beds.  Feathers probably go back years++  ::)

If one thinks that many cultures still swaddle new borns there's probably something in the thought that being tightly wrapped is important.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 06:29:43 PM »

I looked into them and they are very expensive.  Someone with a sewing machine could easily make one and weight it with the weights they use in heavy curtains. 

I sleep better under a heavier quilt, some are so lightweight they have no weight. 

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 08:13:25 PM »

Thanks all, good idea Pennyfarthing.
Eveeryevening I get chills and exhaustion, it's down to the fistula and the low level infection I live with. I I just think one of these would really help.  I've ordered one x
Thanks all x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 09:39:22 PM »

Thanks all, good idea Pennyfarthing.
Eveeryevening I get chills and exhaustion, it's down to the fistula and the low level infection I live with. I I just think one of these would really help.  I've ordered one x
Thanks all x

Let us know whether you like it.

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 10:29:03 AM »

I don't like anything heavy on me at night.  I don't get night sweats now but I do get hot.  I send half the night without covers anyway. Plus I'm claustrophobic so it's a definite no for me.

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 10:42:50 PM »

Hi ladies
Well hubby bought me a weighted blanket for Valentines 😫😫 not very romantic true but the thought that counts 🤣
It looks nice and is very soft and cosy.  it's heavier than I thought, you are supposed to get one that is 10% of your body weight.  As I am quite heavy he down scaled it a bit and got a 5kg one.   It ended up on the bed and I used it last night,
Mixed feelings as I was boiling with it over the quilt.  Yet without the quilt it just felt weird.  So it wasn't that successful last night.  This morning I woke early and got up leaving hubby half asleep.  I put it over him and he slept until 11am !!! He was mortified to have slept so late but he's been so tired lately I left him to it,  he is now convinced it was the blanket!
So at the moment my verdict is not sure.  I?ll try it again and see how goes.
Too heavy to send back that's for sure !

Barnacle

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »

Mr DS (13) has a genetic condition which affects his nervous system and his consultant suggested one for him, as he has periods of very poor sleep. It took a couple of weeks for him to get used to it, but now he is fine and i do think it has helped him. I doubt i could sleep under one, as i'd feel too hemmed in, but quality of sleep is so important, so i'd try to persevere with it.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 04:26:18 PM »

Babies World wide are swaddled.  Makes them feel secure. 

I used to be tucked in: sheet, blanket, eiderdown [still on our spare bed], another blanket tucked well in on cold nights. 

Barnacle

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 05:29:48 PM »

I used to be tucked in: sheet, blanket, eiderdown [still on our spare bed], another blanket tucked well in on cold nights.

Me too, right up to my chin!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »

;D .......

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »

My mum used to tuck the blankets in so securely, that I was trussed up against the mattress and couldn't move.

Some people on the autistic spectrum like to be held tight as it is soothing, and a campaigner (Temple Grand I think her name was) invented a machine to do it for her and also one to keep cattle happy in slaughter houses.  It is a very soothing feeling to be enveloped.

I do like my husband to hug me tightly, it does make me happy  :)  but I really like the bedding loose now  ;D

dahliagirl

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »

It is nice to be able to breathe though  ;D

I miss the ice trees on the windows  :) but not the cold room with the electric convector to warm it for an hour before bed. >:(