Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Drain unblock  (Read 1422 times)

Jari

Drain unblock
« on: February 10, 2020, 03:23:18 PM »

Anyone tried half a cup of bicarbonate of soda down kitchen/bathroom drain, followed by one cup of white vinegar, leave 30 minutes and then flush with a kettle of boiled water? ...

Sparrow

Re: Drain unblock
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 03:25:31 PM »

Haven't tried that one.  I use soda crystals, which usually work.  Don't like using chemicals if I can help it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 03:29:24 PM »

Yep.   Running boiled water initially - have you rodded the drains?  Soda crystals need to be used with care.  If boiling water doesn't work then add bicarb.?

Jari

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »

I do not like using chemicals either as it all ends up in the sea.

I have put a half cup of bicarbonate of soda and one cup of white vinegar down the bath plug hole and in kitchen. It is funny as they have a reaction and it all starts fizzing. Waiting 30 mins to pour boiling water.. 

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »

Haha, it like being back in the science class at school.

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 04:21:13 PM »

Soda crystals need to be used with care. 

Are you thinking of caustic soda.  That's a different product.  Soda crystals are made from plant ash.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 06:00:33 PM »

Tnx. 

Did it work Jari, what was the problem? 

Jari

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »

It seems to have worked yes!

My washing machine is connected to the same drain away as my kitchen sink and when I have washing on the sink starts to pile up with water.

I am going to watch when I have my next load on to see if it drains away better.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 06:50:37 PM »

Our laundry and dishwasher drain out the same pipe, I have never dared to have the two machines working at the same time  :o

Sparrow

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 07:18:09 PM »

It could be the problem is in the outside drainage pipe.  When we had this, on lifting the drain cover in the garden, the water was backed up and only trickling through.  The buider had left a load on bricks in it, and the detergent residue had built up around them.

Took out the bricks and bought some rods. Sorted.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 07:52:37 PM »

Our kitchen drain runs from the back kitchen underneath the concrete floors to the drain - at the front of the house.  When the property was built a block of concrete was left at an angle half way down the drain system - we thought the whole floor would need removal  :o but they managed to rod the gunge out. 

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 08:38:33 PM »

I helped out someone recently who had a recurring problem with the neighbours blocking the shared drain that crossed her garden.   Because it was her garden, her husband had had the job of rodding the drains of all the neighbours waste.

It would appear that if the houses were built before 2014, then the shared parts are now the responsibility of the local water company, even if they cross your land.

The local company came and did a proper survey with cameras and unblocking and everything and she was very pleased.