Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: MultiVits  (Read 1715 times)

squeaker99

MultiVits
« on: January 29, 2020, 09:33:53 PM »

I just wanted to say be a bit careful when taking MultiVitamins ; especially if you don't know for sure if you are deficient in anything and especially if they have more than 100% of the NRV.   

My GP just did some routine blood tests as I'd had some weird chest area vibrations on and off. (Now gone!). They just came back with my Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D levels elevated , not hugely but above the normal range. He asked about my diet ( I do eat a lot of fish/cheese and marmite which is a source of them) but I have also been taking ' over 50s' MultiVit which he told me stop taking them and check the levels.    When I got home I was a bit horrified to see they had 150% of the NRV for Vitamin D and B12.   I clearly did not need to take them and as my diet was already rich in them it was raising my levels to an abnormal level which could have caused the cardiac / nerve issues.

I never really thought there were any negative side effects to taking multivits but as my diet was already rich in them I've clearly been overdosing taking the MultiVit on top.   

Sparrow

Re: MultiVits
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 09:48:22 PM »

Really good point.

I used to take multies but stopped because a lot of the values were way to high for my liking.  Also I read somewhere that individuals are more affective if you do have a deficiency.

I don't think I could overdose though as I forget to take them, half the time.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:55:31 PM »

What was the elevated level of vitamin D?

I take a much higher dose that the recommended level (which is quite low) but have been tested as low in the past.

B vitamins are added to marmite, but not vitamin D - that comes from oily fish and eggs but not in sufficient quantities without the sun.

I prefer to get my vitamins from diet where possible.  Multivitamins usually have not enough of some things and too much of others - especially the cheap ones.  They are good as a safety net if you are not eating well or changing your diet though in the short term.

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:39:15 PM »

I took Menopace for a couple of weeks a few years ago and had a lot of side effects, palpatations, feeling very hyperactive, turned my urine lime green and I could'nt sleep.  I was surprised multi vitimins would cause this until i googled it. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:44:39 PM by Dierdre »

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:46:22 PM »

I took Menopace for a couple of weeks a few years ago and had a lot of side effects, palpatations, feeling very hyperactive and could'nt sleep.  I was surprised multi vitimins would cause this until i googled it.

They often have a lot of additives as well Dierdre. Everyone is different, for example I can't take decongestants, as they give me palpatations.

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 10:04:23 AM »

I had a thought regarding VitD.  If you take fish oil, be careful, as taking VitD as well is double dosing.

It's better to take one or the other, or take VitD with straightforward Omega 3.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:53:10 AM by Shadyglade »

squeaker99

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 03:39:37 PM »

I took Menopace for a couple of weeks a few years ago and had a lot of side effects, palpatations, feeling very hyperactive, turned my urine lime green and I could'nt sleep.  I was surprised multi vitimins would cause this until i googled it.

Yes I had the same with Menopace. I took it a few years ago and my liver enzyme bloods were elevated; stopped taking it and they have been fine since.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »

Interesting.  As an aside, last night on a BBC programme, people were using whey liquid protein for 24 hours: having had urine tests B4 and after.  The body absorbed nowt, passed any extra protein in the urine. 

With a good, balanced diet one shouldn't require extras.  VitD levels can be kept level by capsules in the winter but as I recognise my low level symptoms, I don't add anything. 

Fresh air.  Lots of fresh veg., fruits and fish: meat/chicken regularly; can all help to maintain the body as it was designed.  Me though  :-\ I go off foods   :-X like fish and I find red meat slows down my bowel quite radically.  I've tried to cut back on food bought cakes as a treat and not daily.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 05:24:03 PM »

I need to think about cutting the amount of supplements I take.  I rattle when I walk.  Going to go cold turkey I think.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »

Haha! I hardly take any! Good varied diet full of fresh fruit, veg, nuts pulses, grains low fat protein etc is the best thing. Think about vit D in winter. Fall in love with sardines and smoked salmon...glug a bit of Floradix iron liquid if you're bleeding a lot and might be iron deficient. Get out in the fresh air and sunshine whenevr you can - all year round. B12 if you're vegan - and maybe other supps as this diet doesn't easily give us everything we need?

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 06:49:13 PM »

Hello ladies.

It seems that meat slows down digestion because it sits in the bowel and rots. This may explain the link with increased meat consumption and bowel cancer. Another way to ruin your Sunday roast is to read the World Health Organisation 's report that processed meat like bacon is a type one carcinogen and red meat is type two.

No wonder people are looking for meat alternatives these days.

Take care ladies.

K.