Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 200832 times)

Sparrow

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1830 on: May 05, 2020, 06:36:22 AM »

That's very interesting.  It also seems to indicate that people will mostly be back to work once they scheme ends.  That could be when shops, and such like, reopen.  In fact any business where working from home is not possible.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1831 on: May 05, 2020, 08:04:04 AM »

Driven by the Banks rather than 'them' then?

Hurdity

« Reply #1832 on: May 05, 2020, 09:06:09 AM »

Hi Tc - I did read a while back that even though the virus can be detected for some time after a person recovers, the virus is inactivated ("dead") and therefore not infective ie expelling the particles from the lungs is part of the recovery process. I  presume some of the tests don't distiguish between active and destroyed viruses? I can't find where I read that though! Also I can see how difficult this is in terms of determining whether someone is safe to return to a community. Sorry that's just off the top of my head...what a tricky situation for your sister's MIL and family though.

Hurdity  x

Barnacle

« Reply #1833 on: May 05, 2020, 10:22:42 AM »

Wait for it "go back to work - help the NHS".

or "go back to work, or sign on for the rest of your life".

All of the schemes were set up in a blind panic and now they are all going to end in in the same way.

Machair

« Reply #1834 on: May 05, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »

I am due to go back for a routine pelvic scan (private) in May in London and have to book it myself. ( I had surgery to remove a benign polyp last November and need a 6 monthly check for that and for the uterine lining prior to being fully discharged)  Not sure whether to wait for a few more weeks as it is not urgent. Anyone live in London and know what the underground is currently like in terms of numbers travelling? I have ME so don't want to risk catching the virus, and also want to leave appointments for others with more pressing and urgent needs. I'm inclined to wait and see what the government advice is next week. What do you think and are what are you all planning to do when lockdown is eased- will you be rushing out for appointments for anything really?- opticians dentists etc are all going to face major challenges as are hairdressers. I am well overdue now for a contact lens check up but not sure I fancy that either for a few weeks.

Sparrow

« Reply #1835 on: May 05, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »

From what I understand the tube is not busy at all, as its mainly used by essential workers, at the moment.  If you are concerned check with one of the members who live there. Katejo does so you could always PM her. 

It also depends on the route you need to take.  Sometimes you can do it by normal over ground rail routes, rather than the tube.

Also, any chance you can drive, or be driven in.  I think the congestion charge has been waived, at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:16:30 AM by Shadyglade »

Tc

« Reply #1836 on: May 05, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »

Machair. I dont think you should put off having your scan. Some Good ideas from Shady there. Some lines are busier than others I believe.  Otherwise Can you maybe arrange the scan locally if you havent paid for it yet.?  You could then send results.  Might be cheaper too.

with optician i feel I want to put it off as they get very close to your face but my appt is overdue. . . With the dentist  mine told me just before lockdown that dentists themselves are at extremely  high risk due to aerosol contamination.   I feel sure dentists will have to make  industry wide changes to protect staff before reopening   When we locked down I was half way through a root canal so I will need to go at some point.

All we can do I guess Is to await details of what standards and measures dentists and opticians will be  instructed to follow and then call our own practices to check if they are doing so.  I am more concerned that my mammogram and smear test are due this year.

Hiya  hurdity. Thanks. By pure coincidence this morning I read an article about exactly that.

A doc from  WHO decribing the "shedding" of cells from lungs during healing being possibly responsible for positive tests weeks later and that they believe the shedding process is not infectious. Apparently she was on the Andrew marr show too

https://www-standard-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/testing-positive-coronavirus-twice-world-health-organisation-a4430626.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.standard.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fworld%2Ftesting-positive-coronavirus-twice-world-health-organisation-a4430626.html

I havent read anything about whether the test can distinguish.  It's the obvious next question though isnt it.

To my mind, how effective  test and quarantine is  in managing spread post lockdown will be about how the test is actually used.  And in absence of firm information about the window of contagiousness i feel we need to err on the side of caution with results and ensure quarantine periods are sufficient which may be more than 7 days. .

On the subject of using tests effectively, it worries me if post lockdown we continue to restrict testing to those with symptoms. It is surely missing the point that the reason  this virus has been so phenomenally successful in spreading is because of the very fact it produces zero symptoms in many.

X

CLKD

« Reply #1837 on: May 05, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »

Some people however, although treated in hospital for C-19, haven't shown antibodies  :-\ so err on the side of caution?

Machair - ring the Dept and explain your situation well B4 the appt.?  Could you take a taxi - if there are any  :-\.  The Staff can read your notes and then discuss if the scan can be postponed.

Machair

« Reply #1838 on: May 05, 2020, 12:37:18 PM »

Many thanks for your thoughts ladies. I am not due till after 22nd so will see what the gov advice is on Sunday then make a plan for a scan date. Luckily where I go you can usually be seen on the day. Having severe ME means I have to be very careful around infections, so to a certain extent decisions lie with me on this one, not with gov advice which tends to be more general. My daughter who is medically qualified told me to postpone it until the risks are much less, so I think the answer lies somewhere between now and a couple of months time, depending on what is happening generally. The consultant told me it is purely routine as sometimes benign polyps regrow. I hope not- don't fancy that op again!

It is very stressful as my Father passed away during lockdown and there is so much we can't do around that as well. Plus the grief is horrid and the funeral arrangements were just so sad and difficult.

How do we all feel will we be rushing out to the pub or the shops as soon as we are allowed or are we all nervous about rushing to take up our old lives? Personally I miss music concerts more than anything- can't see them happening any time soon. Still if one life is saved I would miss everything for years- I feel so sad for anyone who has lost someone in this pandemic.

Barnacle

« Reply #1839 on: May 05, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »

So sorry to hear of the loss of your Father, Machair x

Tc

« Reply #1840 on: May 05, 2020, 01:36:58 PM »

So sorry for your loss machair. Xx

?
Some people however, although treated in hospital for C-19, haven't shown antibodies  :-\ so err on the side of caution?

Yes CLKD. I think if someone has had symptoms and tested pos and still test pos a week later, 2 weeks later or more until we know for sue whether ppl aw still infectious at that point wouldnt it be better to err on the side of caution?  I'm referring to the potential for them to spread it not to immunity.   I personally reckon much more time has to pass to establish the immunity issue.  In the meantime it's about containing spread.

Xx

CLKD

« Reply #1841 on: May 05, 2020, 03:21:23 PM »

I hope that social distancing continues  ;D ........ whilst I'm shopping.  I hate other trollies near to mine  >:(  ;)

As for 'stay home.  keep the NHS safe. ' it's beginning to grate.  I was up for advice until the medical profession began to die from symptoms.  Apparently.  WTF.  It wasn't my fault ........... I have done as Boris suggested ........... I haven't breathed or sneezed on anyone  :-\ and know exactly who I have spoken to in the last 2 weeks ......... from a distance.  Naturally.

Someone somewhere .......... heads should roll for the amount of Staff that have been infected and/or died from C-19. 

suzysunday

« Reply #1842 on: May 05, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »

I feel the same stellajane and clkd.

CLKD

« Reply #1843 on: May 05, 2020, 04:11:20 PM »

:thankyou:     ?  little steps ?

Taz2

« Reply #1844 on: May 05, 2020, 06:06:07 PM »

Just heard that DIL is to go back to school (secondary teacher) full time on 26 May.

Oh!! We haven't been told anything yet for our area, either for secondary or primary. What are the distancing measures? Could you explain a little or is she expected to go back without any info?  Maybe I've read that wrongly though and she is to go back but the pupils wont be there and it will be in preparation for their eventual return. Our unions are working hard to try to stop any teaching staff being sent back without the proper precautions. I really miss being in school but I'm also scared!

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 179