Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello!!  (Read 1158 times)

Trude72

Hello!!
« on: January 14, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »

Hello everyone,
Wow! I didn't even know this website existed until a visit to the GP yesterday.
I've had a flick through the website over the last 24 hours especially the forum and found it extremely interesting.  A bit of history from myself to introduce.  I was fortunate enough to have 2 boys in 2002 and 2005 but unfortunately a couple of years later I was suffering with painful periods which resulted in a total hysterectomy in 2008 at the age of 35.  From that day forward I've been taking HRT.  To be honest, I was so busy as a new mum with my boys I just 'got on with it' and was relieved to not have periods no longer. Yearly visits to the GP for a new HRT prescription and I fell into the routine of this.....up until yesterday...….A new GP at the surgery asked me if I totally understood why and what I was taking and the risks involved.  Having taken HRT for 12 years I had to be honest and say I wasn't fully aware of risks or understand HRT in general.  I guess I've been ignoring it and getting on with 'normal' life and fell into a pattern (if that makes sense) and used to taking the tablets.  The GP was very helpful and explained everything to me and also reminded me that being 47 I'm starting into the menopause age.  I've been given options to reduce my tablets from 1mg to a lower dose and try patches? which i'm happy to do - and possibly eventually come off HRT? sounds scary after so long but after 12 years is this something I could consider? Has anybody else done this? or even in a history similar to mine? I don't know anybody who's had a hysterectomy as young as I did, so would be nice to hear from anybody and how they cope.
Thanks for reading  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 02:29:34 PM »

At least you were given HRT early enough to protect heart and bones, if it suits why stop?   35 was early, the Daisy web-site is structured for 'early' menopause.  You may like to have a look-see there too.

What risks did this GP suggest?  Many trials of years ago have now been dismissed as scare mongering.  All medication has risks!  Do you think that the GP is saving money?

Do you feel that you need to stop?  If this regime suits, I would stay with it.  You've had a hysterectomy and successfully 'got on' with raising the children so won't be 'into menopause age' what ever that might be.  If it ain't broke, why fix it? 

You can consider reducing the HRT but why risk what might become awful symptoms if currently you are stable?   If you were having problems then it would be worth discussing what would suit.

I am sure that others will be along. 

How you getting on with Vagifem?  We have threads about that too.  ::):welcomemm:

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:56:13 PM »

Hi and welcome to our happy little band Trude72  :)

As CKLD says there is really no reason for you to stop your hr and yes there will be ladies on the forum who have had a hysterectomy very young...maybe they will be along in a minute. 
As you are new to our group I must try and moderate my thoughts about GP's lack of knowledge, tendency to spout outdated research and information, and ability to bring problems where there are none when it comes to menopause!  My views on the so called "medical profession" have got a little skewed over the years!  Some of them just haven't a notion what they are talking about  :-X :-X (You will find that my experiences of them are not great1 >:(). but anyway.....

it is your choice if you continue with your hrt...you are happy on it, it is working so why should you start messing around with it when you get to a certain age?  You have had a total hysterectomy and at 47 the symptoms will be just the same as they were when they took "your bits away"!!  They thought it was ok to give you hrt then, I cannot for the life of me fathom why they would want to take it away from you now and assume anything would change.

There is plenty of out-dated research on "risk factors" and yes there is risk, as with anything, but the new research shows it is minimal and other factors such as alcohol, obesity, and smoking are far more influencial in cancer diagnosis than the link to hrt of any kind.  However, hrt has also been shown to prevent osteoporosis and help heart health in women when it is started before 60 outside of the fact that some of us suffer other terrible symptoms of insomnia, heart burn, flushes and others when we don't take.  There is no hard and fast rule each of us has different circumstances but I'm with CKLD - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  I have all my bits and started hrt at 46 - I'm 58 and I won't be giving up anytime soon, or even maybe EVER! :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 05:05:18 PM »

:thankyou:  Ladybt28 - much more eloquent than I put it ........

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »

Hi Trude72

:welcomemm:

I am interested that you were given HRT straight away after your total hysterectomy and I am assuming that you had your ovaries removed at the same time as your total hyster, which means you will have been plunged into surgical menopause?

What type of oestrogen have you been taking?

The good news is you absolutely do not need to start reducing your HRT! The general consensus by medical experts is that any HRT taken before the average age of natural menopause (51/52) does not count in terms of the “risks” ( whatever these are) and you have not yet got there – so you can continue to take it quite happily for at least another 4-5 years and then if you want to – start counting the years of taking it from then.

Also the data from the large HRT trials study show that those taking oestrogen only HRT actually showed a reduced risk of breast cancer, not an increased risk, although oestrogen clearly stimulates (oestrogen positive) cancers to grow, even if it does not cause them in the first place.

Generally if aged under 50 with early menopause the benefits are thought to outweigh the risks as they are if under 60 and still having symptoms. https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

So – please do not feel the need to reduce and read up as much as you can from the information on this website and the various links, news articles etc. We can point you to more specific information if you need it for your GP. The other thing is – if you have only been taking 1 mg oestrogen – this is a low dose! If happy on this that's fine but it is below the minimum to give good protection against osteoporosis – which is 2 mg, so if you have a history of osteo in your family, you are within your rights I would say to ask for bone density scan (info on this website and NHS website – DEXA scan).

Hope this helps and if you have any other specific questions then do please ask.

While I was writing this I see Ladybt has posted so hope I'm not repeating anything but if so - shows we think along same lines!

Hurdity x
PS this forum issue is driving me mad - has taken me ages to write and post this even though I started it ages ago!!!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »

Same here Huridty - I have to copy and paste over and over  >:( but at least we aren't on dial up  ;D

:foryou:  we really are a Good Bung on here  8)

Right - press go and see what happens? 

Trude72

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 07:12:25 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies. Really appreciate it.

What I presume is, the GP was saying I started HRT 12 years ago - much younger than average and still a number of years to go and mentioning all the risk factors/ putting me at a higher risk as it would feel like I've taken them forever by the time I finish them in my 50's?!?! Have I just gone into panic mode?

Just to answer couple questions, I had everything removed and started on Estradoil 1mg Zumenon medication. It does work and obviously I breeze through at the moment but it has made me think about options and reducing my risk factors by a lower dose but wanted feedback from you guys and not given it all any thought in 12 years!

By the way, is it me or is the website going crazy! It's constantly crashing on me!!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:33:30 PM »

It's not personal, this website  >:(  ::) but something to do with the server - what ever that might be!

Your GP is scare mongering.  What risks would there be now that weren't there when you began HRT?

I don't think that it matters what age one begins HRT if it works well.  Why put yourself 'at risk' of dreadful symptoms if you stop, if the current regime is working?  Everything has a risk!!  Quality of Life, after all, that bus might be along from behind ....... so what risk are you trying to avoid?   ::)

Ask your GP to print off risk concerns so that you can read and share with us?  It may be that your GP knows very little about how the effects of menopause can affect women.  He may know very little about current research which shows how good HRT is for most women. 

If it ain't broke .......... also, do absorb what Hurdity said: the good news is you absolutely do not need to start reducing your HRT! The general consensus by medical experts is that any HRT taken before the average age of natural menopause (51/52) does not count in terms of the “risks”  ( whatever these are) and you have not yet got there – so you can continue to take it quite happily for at least another 4-5 years and then if you want to – start counting the years of taking it from then.

Don't feel pressured into changing the status quo if you are OK!

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 09:54:27 PM »

Personally I wouldn't reduce the dose as you are not yet at average menopause age. Transdermal is supposed to be safer than oral so it might be worth trying a patch. If it doesn't suit you you could always go back to your current hrt. It's worth noting that lifestyle factors such as obesity and smoking carry higher health risks than hrt.

sued

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »

Hi Trude72

I stated early menopause at 37, went on HRT until I was 55 then was advised by my Gynaecologist to come off it as I'd been in it long enough. I did come off it which was 3 years ago and since then have had all the usual menopause symptoms.
Unfortunately we put our trust in the medical profession and as others have implicated on this forum not all of them know enough or have the knowledge to advise us what is best.
I wish I'd stayed on HRT but I took advise and am now hoping these symptoms will hurry up and leave me alone!