Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Health anxiety  (Read 8591 times)

Pamela03

Health anxiety
« on: January 14, 2020, 02:14:29 PM »

Hi ! I'm new to this forum and hoping you might have some support or suggestions for me to get a grip of the really anxious feelings I have started having about my health... it's always been a part of my personality but since hitting 54 and perimenopause I'm finding it really worrying and hard to control for at least a week or so a month. And too terrified to go to the docs!! I'm convinced I'm terminal at every twinge etc Is this normal and how can I get a grip ? I'm ok otherwise, other than this panic about death and illness.
Sorry ! It's a tricky one ... hello to you all !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »

Hi U!  :welcomemm:

What's the worst that could happen?   Many struggle with health anxiety as The Change hits.  Plus lots are coping with children, work, husband, elderly relatives ........ which ups the stress levels. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  To chart progress.   This shows that how ever much we worry, what was terminal last week will be OK but something else might take us off!  We have a thread about that, I'll bounce it - if I remember  ::)

Pamela03

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »

Yes well, with health anxiety asking the question "what's the worst that could happen...?" Is the main problem ....
Thanks though.
I'll look for threads that might help. I know it's self destructive and I'm hoping by talking about it I might be able to get a grip.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »

I forgot to find the thread I mentioned due to the connectivity issues of the Forum  >:(

What's the first symptom you would like to ease?  Most of us have been through most  ::) and worried and been reassured until the next worry emerges ..........

Blot

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »

Hi Pamela03.
You are is good company here as loads of us suffer with health anxiety and lots of other anxiety as well.

What's the worst thing that could happen? Don't get me started! That question is at the root of all our problems.

I'm sure there will be others along to offer support and advice so stay around and keep posting.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »

Here we are: if press go works  :D

Things I have diagnosed myself with this year! ...... in the Humorous Room

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 05:30:27 PM »

Here we are: if press go works  :D

Things I have diagnosed myself with this year! ...... in the Humorous Room

Pamela03

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »

Thanks Blot!!
Yes at the moment I am ok today but having to try quite hard to keep panic about either breast or ovarian cancer at bay....I'm busy, lucky, happy (!) and yet seem to get overwhelmed by these surges which at present can go on for a few days accompanied by tears.
And the worst thing is at the moment I'm terrified of going to a GP. I feel faint at the thought. I've got to get on top of it... lovely to be in touch

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 08:26:42 PM »

So what would you go to the GP about?  Is there a Practice Nurse if necessary?

I had breast disease in the 1990s, my biggest worry was that panic attacks would stop me from attending daily radiation treatments.  It didn't. PHEW!   There was emotional pain but not physical pain as I had a good Surgeon and team. 

Worry can overtake 24/7.  At my worst I had nightmares  :-\  :'(.

Maybe note down your stresses.  Think about how your current Life-style impacts, how much 'me' time you have: are you a carer, do you have children etc.?  Think about if you can delegate ........ feeling in control of daily living can help.

If you like to share, then do.  It isn't unusual!  It's about getting the worry under control so that it becomes logical. 

Lyncola

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »

Pamela03,
Interesting that your worry about ovarian cancer and breast cancer, and worried about seeing the doctor. I'm the other way around worrying about every new problem and running to my doctor.
With my breast I first find a lump about 30, since then at least another 4 lumps. They have all been biopsy and are fine. I go private and get a mammogram every 2 years, and ultrasound every year. I go private because the service is unbeatable. Only went once to the public mammogram screening so quick and they didn't find anything when I already had lumps. It doing this that's stop me from worrying about my breast.
With my ovaries, I first had the pain at 25 years old and was rushed into surgery. And had problems with them again 3 and half years ago, it's why they gave me hysterectomy but they kept my ovaries?
Like you I do worry about all the pain and changes in my body.
Please go and see a doctor and explain all your concerns, if you find a wonderful doctor like mine. They will take the time to listen to you do test that need to be done, and hopefully put your worries at bay.
If there is seriously something wrong and doing nothing about it is not going to help. I always believe to see a doctor early is in your best interest. Is there someone that can go with you?
I wish you all the best Pamela
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:57:16 AM by Lyncola »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 09:58:45 PM »

4 me if I have continual symptoms after 3 weeks I make an appt.  Taking a list of worries with me.  Getting advice sooner rather than later saves a lot of worry later on, should further investigations be required.

Nothing could be worse than the anxiety that plagued my Life from the age of 3 followed by anxiety in the 1990s  :'(.  I never want to feel out of control or as ill again.

Jeepers

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »

Hi Pamela

Yes, definitely me. Many of us on here have been in really bad places with health anxiety ( and continue to be so).

I'm almost the opposite of you though, and have spent a kings ransom on getting things checked out. It only works for a while, so I am going to get some professional help for my mental health. I think I'd quite like to try hypnotherapy

The only thing that currently helps me, is my job. I know that makes me sound really sad, and it means that time off is often spoiled by intrusive thoughts , but there it is.

Jeepers xx

AgathaC

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 10:45:47 PM »

Pamela - I'm so very sorry to hear that we share these worries. HA can overwhelm me for weeks on end and usually when I get one fear dealt with, I just replace it with another. Jeepers and Squeaker99 and myself all suffer badly with HA and have tried various coping mechanisms. Distraction combined with a form of CBT works for me, but not always! Wishing you well and hoping that you find this forum the lifesaver that I have found it to be xx

Lyncola

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 04:55:59 AM »

CLDK I love the three weeks then go to the doctor, I do try to do this, but sometimes my worries becomes too much and I cave. And I agree Jeepers work does help, and anything to distract yourself is great. I'm right back into jigsaw puzzles, keeps my brain busy.

Jeepers

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 06:09:05 AM »

Hi lyncola

I love jigsaw puzzles, and agree that they can be a great distraction. I also play classical guitar ( badly), which  also helps.

Jeepers xx

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5