Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hormonal Insanity  (Read 1471 times)

jaynej

Hormonal Insanity
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »

Hello.  I am pretty sure I am perimenopausal - I'm 45, it's been creeping up for a while and I feel like shite.  Up until my last period I could track my hormone levels pretty accurately but this month things have gone totally bonkers.  I've lived with erratic PMT for many years - I'd get 'quarterly rage' where every 3 months I'd have PMT that would have been best used by MI5 cos I could have been an awesome assassin, but I was aware of it and knew how to control it. 

This month my emotional state is crazily erratic.  I lose the plot very quickly and I am a super calm person normally.  I have also been getting hot surges... I'm calling them that because I don't get sweaty (but do get night sweats), and hubby hasn't noticed my face getting red.  I just get really, really hot but not in a flash - it's more a gentle swell of heat which lasts for a while and then gently subsides once I've stripped off.  It's quite odd cos normally I am very sensitive to the cold.  Now I can go outside without a coat on and enjoy the cool air in my face where previously I would be practically wrapped in 20 layers wishing that balaclava's were trendy.

I know the GP won't do a hormone test on me because I am 45 and they aren't always accurate anyway so no point there.  I'm unlikely to do HRT either - just delaying the inevitable really so I will see how this plays out as it's so new at this point.  I am quite healthy, a veggie, don't smoke and rarely drink, and am a naturopath (of sorts) so am very aware of the impact of food on my general well-being.  I currently feel very let down by my body cos it's doing all sorts of things that I don't want it to... and not doing some things that I do want it to (goodbye libido, it was nice knowing you).  I really feel like I have lost control - someone else is driving this meat suit.

What I do know is that there are so many differing medical views out there and I really just want to speak to people who know.  My mum had a full hysterectomy at 35 and went through hell over 15 years of HRT so she can't really help (although she is super supportive, as is my hubby). 

Anyone's views on whether I am peri or just insane would be appreciated  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hormonal Insanity
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »

Hi!   :welcomemm:

Browse round.  You are within normal limits from where I am sitting.   >:(  ::)

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful as is eating regularly.  That is, little and often even in the night if one gets up for any length of time.

Slow release foods are good: I keep bananas, dried fruits/nuts, pancakes ready for that sudden dip, trying to eat B4 the body requires sustenance.

Have a read of 'hints for husbands'  ;).  Do read the threads about vaginal atrophy ........

GPs and Gynaes aren't up to date although a few are beginning to take menopause symptoms seriously.  There is nothing about 'being too young' and deciding which symptom you would like to ease first, might be worth considering.

If you are insane you are in Good Company  ;) but it sounds like The Change - which does what it says on the tin!!

jaynej

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 01:39:44 PM »

Thanks CLKD - I will have a nose through those posts you mentioned.  A diary sounds like a great idea so I will give that a go too.

I feel a little sunshine on my horizon, so thank you!!.  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »

U R very welcome.

Ask any question you like, nowt is too much info on here. 

Bobidy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 10:01:16 PM »

Check out Rock My Menopause website. There used to be a symptoms diary log that you can print out. Or google the 34ish symptoms of peri and log them. This will help when chatting with your gp to show physical evidence.

You could always try estrogel to see if this helps with symptoms but you would need progesterone in the coil etc to protect your uterus.

I think there is also a contraceptive pill, Hurdity could advise on this.

Peri is the pits! X

jaynej

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 10:15:25 AM »

Thanks Bobidy.  I'm contraceptive free and have been for over a year and I feel so much better for it so am going to try for a while without any chemical intervention, but I appreciate the advice.  It's always great to have a back-up.

The info form this forum has been a great help so far.  Thinking about it now, I think this has been creeping up on me for quite some time - I had a nasty attach of a type of vertigo last year and it seems that it may have been a peri symptom because there was no other reason for it at all.

So I have found that drinking cooler drinks (not hot tea that I love), cutting down on caffeine, breathing exercises and layers are working so far.  Fingers crossed!!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »

H[ormone]R[placementT[herapy].   replacing what the body may well be producing but is now dropping off.  Naturally.  However, severe symptoms can be eased by replacing hormones and do check the threads about vaginal atrophy!  HRT is delivered locally to the vaginal area and is different to other types.  4 me if was like razor blades up there  :o >:(

Ladybt28

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

Nope Jane you are not insane - its your hormones!  ::)  I was under the mental health people and all sorts but it was just plain old hormones!! >:(  I was downright certifiable....I would call it hormonal psychosis, yet not one doctor or mental health person picked up on it and I was in my 50's when it got to that stage.  It's a very long story you will find lots of my posts on the forum from when I was pretty sick.   If you had PMT problems, then it is likely your meno is going to be erratic and possibly difficult too!
I started hrt (the wrong kind - another story!) at 46 but everything still went completely bonkers between 50 and 55!

Lots of doctors don't pay any attention to blood tests anyway because when you are in peri they go up and down like a yoyo! Most if they are any good would go on your symptoms and the idea is to control them with hrt if you want to take it.  The next factor is getting the right kind for you but you are in the right place for advice, experiences, observations etc. 
You will always find someone here who has had the exact same experience or learnt stuff through trial and error!
Welcome aboard! xx

ossbanak

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 03:57:30 PM »

hi
definitely peri menopausal. i started at 42 and had to beg for my hormone levels to be checked. it did indeed confirm it. ask them to check or fsh and the other one i cant remember.
i could have chopped my hubby into small pieces then watched a disney film so sympathise with you.
look at having as much soya in your diet as possible, there are excellent cookbooks. keep your weight down and try black cohosh from health shop and kalms combined are fab for sweats and moods. look after your skin, hair and pelvic floor as when you hit post menopause these may suffer so good habits now will help later.
i did choose to go on hrt despite risks and it was the best 5 years of my life.
discuss having a menopause plan with your gp although if its anything like my gp they just dont have a clue!
you will find vaginal dryness due to atrophy may happen too along with loss of libido but you can get a referral for that too.
let us know how you get on.