Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New here, just started HRT - could it cause IBS?  (Read 1263 times)

Tortie

New here, just started HRT - could it cause IBS?
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:22:36 AM »

Hi, I had suffered with terrible insomnia since September, and other physical issues which I realised could be menopause related and I visited my GP to discuss hrt.  She was reluctant to prescribe and seemed to know less about about than I did!  I persisted and have been prescribed Sandrena gel and Utrogestan (commenced 16th december).  My gp was particularly unhelpful re dosages.  She prescribed Sandrena 0.5mg daily but I found I still got night sweats so am trying a 1mg dose.

In the last week I have been troubled by what I presume is IBS - that desperate rush to the toilet, frequent times per day.  I don't have any cramps, just that sudden need to go and wonder if this could be related to the HRT?  If anyone has experienced similar I'd be grateful to hear, thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here, just started HRT - could it cause IBS?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:34:39 PM »

hi there welcome to the mysterious world of hormonal upheaval!  Sadly many GPs have no interest in menopause.

Maybe put the product names into the search box and see what pops up: make notes ;-)

10 mins. prior to a bleed I would get the runs even if a period wasn't due.  So certainly 4 me hormones were a huge part of my bowel activity.  I also have slow transit ....... and occasional a day when I have to be near a bathroom 'cos I have the runs, like my bowel is playing catch up!

I don't take HRT other than 'ovestin' for vaginal atrophy.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »

Hi, I had suffered with terrible insomnia since September, and other physical issues which I realised could be menopause related and I visited my GP to discuss hrt.  She was reluctant to prescribe and seemed to know less about about than I did!  I persisted and have been prescribed Sandrena gel and Utrogestan (commenced 16th december).  My gp was particularly unhelpful re dosages.  She prescribed Sandrena 0.5mg daily but I found I still got night sweats so am trying a 1mg dose.

In the last week I have been troubled by what I presume is IBS - that desperate rush to the toilet, frequent times per day.  I don't have any cramps, just that sudden need to go and wonder if this could be related to the HRT?  If anyone has experienced similar I'd be grateful to hear, thanks x

Hi Tortie

:welcomemm:

If you are taking the Utrogestan orally then it could be upsetting your guts - and also this may well in turn affect absorption. What were your periods doing in the months leading up to starting HRT - length of cycle, flow etc? This will tell you where you are in menopause (if not on mini pill or coil). If you are peri-menopausal and taking utrogestan cyclically at least you will have a reprieve from it - but one alternative is to take it vaginally (the same capsules) although you probably wouldn't want to do this if you are post-meno and on continuous combined HRT. Hopefully the sweats will ease soon - keep us posted :)

Hurdity x

Yavina

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 05:15:07 PM »

Too much prescribed oestrogen (Estrogel) caused me to have diarrhea along with nausea and headaches. It took a while for my body to adapt. I had to lower the dose and increase it over many weeks, but now I'm fine with the original dose.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 05:48:42 PM »

:welcomemm:   2 U both

Tortie

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 06:24:35 PM »

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

I'm on the mini pill with no bleeds, so it is difficult to know what is going on cycle wise, and if I even have one any more!  I'm 50, and around three years ago I had a transvaginal ultrasound carried out by a male doctor who charmingly said “ clearly you are menopausal” !

My GP prescribed the cyclical progesterone, but I have transferred to the daily dose instead as this seems to suit me better and I have no cycle to interrupt.  I might try dropping down my oestrogen down again to see if this sorts the gastric issues.