Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopaus and constant itching, burning & fishy odor....  (Read 4266 times)

Tink22

Menopaus and constant itching, burning & fishy odor....
« on: January 09, 2020, 01:40:24 AM »

Hello,

I am wondering if being post menopause, can cause almost constant BV or ie Bacterial Vaginosis?  Or at least BV symtoms?

I used to get BV maybe once or twice a year before menopause, however post menopause
I am now having a constant horrible fishy odor, itching and burning with intercourse which
I have only tried intercourse once in the last several years because of this.... 

Sugary foods/drinks make it way way worse. 

I have been tested for BV, but it keeps coming up negative....  I am SO confused....  :(

Has anyone else had this problem of itching, burning and fishy odor?  And if so, what did you do to fix it.
Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank  you so much.
Tink
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:24:29 AM by Tink22 »

Joaniepat

Re: Menopaus and constant itching, burning & fishy odor....
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 10:36:51 AM »

Tink22, are you on any vaginal oestrogen, such as Vagifem or Ovestin? As the vaginal mucosa ages it becomes less efficient at producing the nutrients that support the good bacteria, so the undesirable ones start to get the upper hand, resulting in all the symptoms of BV that you describe. It sounds as though the pH of your vagina is out of whack, and also that you need local oestrogen treatment.

When I get BV I find a few days of MultiGyn Actigel sorts it. I also use Vagifem.

Good advice from Birdy about going to a GUM clinic.

JP x

Blot

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »

I agree with Birdy and Joaniepat. Get yourself off to the GUM clinic.
I took that advice last year when I was suffering a lot with VA and they were great. Best to get checked out by someone who actually knows what they are looking at. My own gp was useless.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »

No vaginal discharge should have a odour and certainly 'fishy' points to a few issues.  Get yourself to your Practice Nurse for a look-see.  A swab will sort out what it might be.  Don't use anything products down there B4 the appt..

Do read our threads about vaginal atrophy.

I have an odour but Himself can't smell it - I made a thread 'ohhhh eeerrr' or similar a few years back  ::)

Tink22

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 05:46:04 AM »

Thank you so much for answering. 

What is a GUM clinic?  I am from the States.

I am not on any vaginal estrogen at this time, but I think you all are right, it just has to be VA I don't know
what else it could be. 

Has anyone treated for these things and had it right itself?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 01:53:27 PM »

There is a rare condition that causes a continual fishy odour. 

Maybe Tink22 have a word with your local Pharmacist/Chemist or the Nurse in your Doctor's Surgery?  Browse the threads here on vaginal atrophy so that you have an idea of what could be prescribed that will ease symptoms.  The Nurse may take a swab to rule out any infection in the vagina which might be a start.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 01:56:46 PM »

That condition isn't rare but there is another condition that is rare.  Will look up the News I saw yesterday.

A woman who has a syndrome that causes her to smell of rotten fish says it is like "living with a death sentence".

Paula Thomas, 45, from Bristol, has trimethylaminuria (TMAU), which prevents the body from breaking down materials found in certain foods.

Mrs Thomas said she missed school plays to avoid being in crowded places, had been made to get off buses, and felt racially abused because of her smell.

There is no cure for TMAU but avoiding certain foods may lessen the symptoms.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:58:35 PM by CLKD »

Tink22

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 02:34:25 AM »

Thank you everyone.

I am wondering also, if anyone has had this problem.  Where they go into menopause, and then they start having difficulty
with frequent reoccurring Bacterial Vaginosis, or similar issues like yeast infection?

And did treating with vagifem or something similar, helped stop it from reoccurring. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 09:04:16 AM »

When I stopped the Birth Control Pill I had thrush.

BV should be disagnosed by your Care Provider.

Vaginal Atrophy symptoms can be eased by either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin'. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »

Thank you everyone.

I am wondering also, if anyone has had this problem.  Where they go into menopause, and then they start having difficulty
with frequent reoccurring Bacterial Vaginosis, or similar issues like yeast infection?

And did treating with vagifem or something similar, helped stop it from reoccurring.
Yes, I use Vagifem nightly, plus systemic oestrogen. Can't say I never get BV, but it's only occasionally now. UTIs were another problem, but haven't had one recently. It can take a while to get on top of these things, but perseverance is key, as in Birdy's post.

JP x

Tink22

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 07:23:57 AM »

Thank you so much ladies. 

I sincerely hope that getting on Vagifem or something similar will do the trick.  I hope this is all it is. *Fingers Crossed* 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 02:26:38 PM »

Bounce for new Member