Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: help needed on new to hrt  (Read 1392 times)

melrose

help needed on new to hrt
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »

Hi everyone, been reading this site for a while now, and after gleaming as much info I could, it gave me the reassurance that (the living hell I am suffering is peri and to try hrt). I am 46yrs old and have been in perimenopause for 3 years. Before starting hrt I suffered with anxiety, hot flushes, clicking wrists and shoulders and unable to sleep properly through the horrendous night sweats, horrendously heavy periods every 18 – 21 day cycle to a 46 day cycle my last period before I started hrt, it left me feeling utterly wrecked. I am now on my 10th week of hrt Novofem and in the first couple of days nearly all the symptoms went away, and the rest it took the edge off, I absolutely loved being able to sleep, however I have suffered and still suffering side effects of the hrt – leg pains and my breasts feel as though they have been used as a punch bag in a boxing gym  ;D, but after 7 weeks on the hrt all my symptoms have returned and including a skipped heartbeat which I never had before (been checked at the doctors and nothing wrong) I have an appointment on Thursday to see the doctor about the hrt but do you think I need a stronger hrt ? (novofem is 1mg estradiol and 1mg norethisterone) or are some of the symptoms side effects of the hrt??? I am at a total loss of what to do and don't know if to take my hrt today ( I normally take it in the morning but thought I might take it in the evening, if that would maybe help me through the night better) thanks for reading xxx mel

melrose

Re: help needed on new to hrt
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 06:42:55 PM »

Well been the doctors to today, gp said to stop the novofem straight away and being referred to a gynaecologist as gp said a mirena coil and estrogen gel would be the way forward, also full bloods to be done to check there is no underlying condition for the very heavy periods, so this is going to take about a month to get an appointment , will have to see if I manage now I can't take anything  :'(

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 10:48:59 PM »

Hi Melrose

Glad you've found us.
I'm sorry to hear your troubles. It's a nightmare isn't it?
I've not got a mirena fitted, so I can't comment on that, but a lot of women have great success with it. It's either that or Utrogestan or Provera.
I'm not much help I'm afraid, but im sure  someone will be on soon to offer some advice.
Just wanted to welcome you really. Hope you don't suffer too much before you get an appointment. That's probably wishful thinking on my behalf...😏 but we're here, so keep posting, let us know  how your getting on. Good luck.
Oh and  :welcomemm:

Jd xx

melrose

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:03:29 PM »

Thanks jillydoll xx well been nearly 2 days now without hrt, really weird thing is that I actually slept like a baby last night??? and feel really energetic and upbeat today, have to see how long it lasts :-\

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 02:29:41 PM »

And long may it Continue for you Melrose.
Keep going girl, and keep us informed how your getting on.
Wishing you every luck in the world. Xxxx

Cazikins

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 01:34:27 AM »

Welcome to MM melrose - lots of support to be found here.
I had the mirena coil fitted when I 1st started going through the menopause & it really helped my heavy periods & some of my symptoms & personally I recommend it.
Don't worry too much about the blood testes not being done sooner, your GP just wants to get a guide of how things are.
As Jillydoll says let us all know how you get on & keep us updated.
Cazi xx

melrose

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »

Thanks Cazi, will definitely consider the mirena, nice to hear that someone has had a positive experience with it xxx. Day 4 of no hrt and my symptoms have returned but I am handling them a lot better and they are very very mild, funny thing is still sleeping like a baby and flushes only seem to be bothering me upon waking  :-\  don't know how long it takes oral form of hrt to leave your system, especially as I was only on it for 10 weeks? Got in for my blood test on the 24th Jan so not to long to wait to get that 'box ticked'

melrose

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »

Just a quick update, all blood tests came back normal  :-* have cancelled gynaecologist appointment as doctor said if I didn't want hrt this was fine, been off the hrt since 9th January and so far feeling great, night sweats have come back but only because I am on a period, period this time has been just a slight staining which is amazing considering I have suffered for 4 years with the most heavy periods going, Including having to sit on towels, but fingers crossed for now, I feel the best I have for years, these hormonal changes are astounding there is no rhyme or reason to them xxx

melrose

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 10:52:33 AM »

Well yesterday anxiety came back, but just finished my period  :-\ I coped alright with it, as soon as it started I just distracted myself so it passed fairly quickly, think with all the reading I've done on this forum I don't over panic as much thanks to you guys  :-*

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »

Hi melrose - thanks for the update and  :welcomemm:

Hurdity x