Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Black Cohosh - Worth trying ?  (Read 3781 times)

Tillyboo

Black Cohosh - Worth trying ?
« on: December 28, 2019, 07:06:45 PM »

Hello, I am new here so I hope I am in the right section ?

I've been having hot flushes/ hot moments for the past 5 yrs and although during the daytime I can cope as they are not so intense weirdly (why is this ??), during the early hours, the duvet is on and off like I don't know what !! I have the window open, have a fan on all night and have a sheeps wool duvet from Baavet which is supposed to be cooling.
I also suffer with anxiety in the wee hours, waking up worrying about family, our horses etc. Totally alien to me as never ever suffered but last 2yrs it's crept up on me and it's awful .. practising deep breathing can settle me but they come on with the 'hot moments' too  :-(

I have never wanted to take HRT and so have tried all sorts over the years .. incl. Sage, Menopace and the knicker magnet thing. All to no avail.

So today I have bought MenoHerbs Black Cohosh to try. Has anyone had any success with this herb ? Am I right in thinking you cannot take it for longer than a year ?
Is it safe ?
Has it helped ?
Any personal experiences would be good and helpful to know.
Thank you !

Dina1601

Re: Black Cohosh - Worth trying ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »

Hi! I just bought the black cohosh 2 nights ago too! It was 40mg in a product called Estroven. I took it before bed and I'm not sure if it was the culprit or not BUT my hot flashes through the night were worse :(
My 2 underarms were burning and tingling all night....I couldn't sleep at all. Maybe I had a reaction? But just like you, I've been holding off on the HRT and a box of patches sit on my bedroom dresser from my GP. I think I'm going to start but scared of the patches and some of the side effects I've been reading about? Any thoughts?

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »

Hi! I just bought the black cohosh 2 nights ago too! It was 40mg in a product called Estroven. I took it before bed and I'm not sure if it was the culprit or not BUT my hot flashes through the night were worse :(
My 2 underarms were burning and tingling all night....I couldn't sleep at all. Maybe I had a reaction? But just like you, I've been holding off on the HRT and a box of patches sit on my bedroom dresser from my GP. I think I'm going to start but scared of the patches and some of the side effects I've been reading about? Any thoughts?

Always, always buy from sellers that have a good repretation.  Someone called Value health mart on Amazon would ring alarm bells with me.  I couldn't even find a contents list.

Bin them and try the real thing from Healthspan or H & B.

Dina1601

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:14:06 PM »

Did it help you?

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:40:51 PM »

Yes, as also did Agnus Cactus.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:41:24 PM by Shadyglade »

hwils

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »

Hi, I do sympathise, am going through the same myself with night sweats disturbing sleep & panicky feelings during night. Would you consider HRT patches? I think I may try them as the disturbed sleep affects me at times when I'm working. I would be wary of herbal preps- like prescribed meds they can cause adverse reactions & side effects . Years ago I remember a colleague who was going through the menopause leaving work for a hospital appt & it was to check her liver function as she'd taken black cohosh & it had affected her badly. She hadn't taken it recently either - I think it was about a yr previously. It really stuck in my memory & I found it shocking! I'm sure many people prob take it safely & don't mean to scare you but just be vigilant for side effects. 

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 07:17:55 AM »

It's a matter of cause and effect hwils.  Paracetamol also causes liver damage.  Nothing is 100% safe and many people have liver problems that have taken neither.

There has been research that has found no correlation between BC and liver damage.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 07:21:49 AM by Shadyglade »

Dina1601

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 02:27:46 PM »

Thank you ALL. Has anyone tried Lachesis mutus homeopathic? Thanks

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 05:05:03 PM »

Hi Tillyboo

:welcomemm:

I tried Black Cohosh for a few months when I was peri-menopausal and I thought it worked when actually it was either placebo or my own cycle coming into play so that the sweats and fluishes stopped as my hormone levels rose. Once i got nearer towards menopause the flushes and sweats stayed for good and no amount of Cohosh had any effect - which is when chucked the Cohosh capsules, and started HRT,  never to look back 12 + years later  ;D.

As far as I understand there is still a question mark over long term use of Black Cohosh - but may be due to the impurities/adulteration from unregulated brands? Not sure. Anyway why take a concentrated herbal product when you take take something more natural to your body - what could be more natural than bio-identical oestrogen ie estradiol? There are few contra-indications and it will work for most women, for menopausal hot flushes/sweats, provided you find the right dose/type.

Hurdity x

squeaker99

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »

Hi. I almost bought some of this from a local health food shop after a midwife I knew and respected
said that a lot of nurses she works with take it for hormone related problems.  I happened to mention it to a GP and he advised not to take it as it has been associated with liver enzyme problems (maybe with continual use?).  I also got burnt in Peri by taking
 ' Menopace' tables for a few weeks (at that point I was looking for a miracle sure from anxiety and insomnia). Next
routine blood test my liver enzymes were messed up. I came off the Menopace and six weeks later than were fine again.
Of course it is impossible to be sure what is at play (virus/anxiety/food issues) but it was a co-incidence.

ChristineBraun

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 04:07:48 AM »

Hi, I'm also new here from Australia and peri-manopausal.  My GP suggested that I have a look at a product which has black cohosh in it as I wanted to try alternatives to HRT but didn't want to continue to spend the fortune I am currently spending on alternatives.   I have read the reports about Black Cohosh and liver function but this product also has things that help the liver.  I'm hoping it will work, I'm not getting hot flushes, for me it is more the mood swings and anxiety/depression etc (my mother was the same).  I'm starting this tomorrow so it may take a few weeks to see if there are any results but I'm hoping for good results

--------
Commercial link removed
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:22:05 PM by Emma »

Sparrow

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 07:49:14 AM »

Well done and good luck.  Hopefully you will be like me and will feel the benefit from it.

Feather

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »

Hi , I took black cohosh ( Swanson brand) for 2 years and I think it had a positive effect. I stopped about 6 months ago because was only having hot flushes occasionally during the night. I seem to have had a hot flush surge lately so wondering whether to go back on them?