Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Dryness  (Read 660 times)

Angie61

Dryness
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »

Does using HRT gel and vagifem cause more vaginal external dryness than before?  I have been using oestrogel gel for the last month and daily vagifem but after just 4 days I have been sore/burning externally continuously for weeks.  (Prior to using oestrogel I had just minor external dryness which I relieved with KY jelly and it worked.  I have used Vagifem before so don't think that is causing the dryness.)

Joaniepat

Re: Dryness
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »

No, it is lack of oestrogen that causes VA, which often needs local oestrogen treatment as well as systemic. Use a decent vaginal moisturiser such as one of the Yes products or Sylk, not KY jelly. The latter is lubricant not a moisturiser and is not recommended for this purpose. Inserting Yes VM into the vagina would help the Vagifem dissolve properly if you are dry inside. Jane Lewis's book Me and my Menopausal Vagina (from Amazon) will tell you all about VA, a condition which needs ongoing treatment.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »

What might be causing the stinging etc. is vagifem starting to plump up the area.  From what was explained to me, as the tissues start to 'wake up', it also causes nerve endings to be affected.  Unfortunately Vagifem takes a long time to work and you have to suffer through the nerves adjusting to the estrogen but it WILL work and all of the discomfort will subside.  My GP put me on Amitriptyline until I was able to go 2 weeks without discomfort.  Be patient and hang in with the Vagifem.  You may also want to consider estrogen cream for outer area as well as vagifem for internal.  Many if us are on this regime and so far, so good.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 05:32:50 PM »

KY Jelly works for me ;-)

Also vagifem is a very small amount of active ingredient so some ladies need to insert two at the same time occasionally.  Do look at the sylc and yes websites, you may be able to get freebies ;-)

Angie61

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »

Relief at last, YES vaginal moisturiser and YES vaginal wash were delivered this morning - it's helping already.  Thank you to those who have offered advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 12:11:24 PM »

Well done!  Keep up with all to ease the condition.