Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel-utrogestan query: help please  (Read 587 times)

pricey

Oestrogel-utrogestan query: help please
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:12:52 PM »

Hi ladies,

After several attempts, I feel I may have found the best combo for me. Well, I did. 3 cycles now on Oestrogel and Utrogestan (used vaginally). I have had few headaches and no breakthrough bleeding. Having had months of bleeding more on than off, I even tweaked the last two cycles so that i had a 5 week cycle to help with my anaemia (I'm taking iron). My bleeding arrived on cue 3 days after the 12 day course of Utrogestan. However, the last two weeks since my bleed I have had extremely painful breasts (they have increased in size somewhat too, not unusual for me at times) and now, 16 days in, I'm spotting slightly. I was planning on starting the Utrogestan in about a week like last month, to get a 5 week cycle.  I'm wondering if this is just a blip or could my extending of the oestrogen phase be causing a problem? As I tolerate the vaginal utro fairly well, I had wondered about trying the conti regime.  I'll be 55 in January,  still having periods, but have been on HRT 4 years.  My previous attempt at conti (femeston) resulted in constant spotting but this combo has so far seemed better at controlling my cycle. Also, if a full bleed ensues,  should I continue with my 7 more days of Oestrogel followed by 12 days of utrogestan as planned? Or should I go back to a 28 day cycle from next month?

Any advice gratefully received.

X

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogel-utrogestan query: help please
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »

Ooh that's a tricky one! If you are still peri then your own hormones may well come into play - hence the spotting and sore boobs,. However you would be one of the later menopausal women! You said you are 55  but have been on HRT for 4 years and still having periods - but the periods on HRT are artificial ones. You don't know really where you are in menopause unless you actually stop HRT and see what happens.

So - the spotting could be your natural cycle or overthickening of the uterus due to the longer cycle or even something like polyps or fibroids. If you were defo post-meno I would say go to the doc because you are bleeding at the "wrong" time. If you are still peri - then this could well be normal.

If this combo is controlling your cycle then stay on it. I would definitely not miss a course of progesterone as you cannot know if it is your own cycle kicking in ( eg if you ovulated you would produce your own prog) or due to the added hormones.

You might also consider returning to a 28 day cycle for a while. What does your doc say? If you are at all worried by what's happening or if the bleed is unusual for you then please do go to your doc.

All the best :)

Hurdity x