Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and migraine  (Read 1018 times)

Wilks

Utrogestan and migraine
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »

I'm using Oestrogel and utrogestan and I've noticed that I'm getting migraines in the 2nd week of the utrogestan. I've just had one that lasted 11 days.

My doctor mentioned that utrogestan can be used intravaginally if you have problems tolerating it, instead of taking it orally. Does anyone else have this experience?

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan and migraine
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »

Hi Wilks - I've never taken it orally being a nil-by-mouth gal when it comes to HRT so I would recommend you try vaginally, although if you take it daily you might find this a right pain!

As Birdy says it bypasses the liver. There are many more metabolites from oral use which are responsible for some of the unpleasant side effects experienced by some women. Sorry I don't have time to look out the refs for this but it is well-established.

Eleven day migraine - that is the pits. I can't imagine having one lasting that long. I have had migraines on and off since just before peri-menopause ( started getting them pre-menstrually I think in my eartly 50's )  but mine last  4 days max usually 3. Belatedly I went to the doc ( a year or two back)  on someone's recommnedation and got sumatriptan which is a magic pill and if you catch the migraine at the start or when you feel one is developing - then it can stop them. Mine were not the banging headache type but just persistent needle like pain in the head (waking me at night when pain-killers wore off), sound and light aversion, some nausea, crashing fatigue etc. I would see how you get on using vaginally?

I get migraines sometimes during the course, sometimes on withdrawal - but it does clear (the mig) even though the foggy head can remain.

As I use cyclically I also plump up my vag area with daily Vagifem the week before and during the Utro course in the belief that it prevents too much systemic absoprtion of the prog! Not sure if this is the case or not. I also find 100 mg so much better than 200 mg even using it vag - but this is unlciensed for cyclically use allthiugh under medical supervision may be tried as vaginal use is more effective in protecting the endometrium for a given dose ( as more gets straight to uterus).

I use my fingers -although those 100 mg prog balls are rather tiny to poke up!

Hurdity x

Wilks

Re: Utrogestan and migraine
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »

Thanks very much, Birdy and Hurdity. I'm going to try that when I start my next round of Utrogestan x