Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Health anxiety and cancer symptoms  (Read 1412 times)

marge

Health anxiety and cancer symptoms
« on: January 24, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »

Flicking through my Good Housekeeping magazine with a cup of tea this afternoon, l was horrified to see the title 'The Cinderella Cancers' and then symptoms to look out for. I couldn't read it as I know, within hours, I'd develop every symptom. Health anxiety's a nightmare  :'(

Sparrow

Re: Health anxiety and cancer symptoms
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »

The trouble is a lot of cancer symptoms are similar to more innocent conditions.  Unfortunately a lot of cancers are discovered in A&E departments so worrying about symptoms will not help.

I tend to assume any symptoms I may have are of no concern unless they continue for an unreasonable time, or get subsequently worse.  Doctor Google is a great tool so long as you don't take it too seriously.

marge

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »

I know you're right, Shadyglade. As my non-HA sufferer sister says to me 'why do you always assume the worst and not the 99 other things it could be'. Oh to be like that!

Blot

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 05:49:12 PM »

Ladies, there was a point in my life that I just couldn't read magazines, watch the news or anything health related as it would set me off. I'm slightly better now but I think 'that's why I watch all the rubbish, easy viewing that I do.

Real life is just too hard to take sometimes so I have to escape.

Wish I didn't assume the worst too 🙁

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »

When severely depressed I couldn't read magazines; unable to concentrate on a TV/radio programme or read.

My lump was found on palpation in the bath: it was the lump that had the cancer, not the breast.  Although statistically I had breast disease  ::).  I feared most, anxiety attacks stopping me going to appts..  That was months of treatment and radiation sessions ..........

If googling to to NHS web-sites.  So much crap out there!