Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Autism, ADHD etc. and MUZAC  (Read 1496 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Autism, ADHD etc. and MUZAC
« on: November 21, 2019, 10:35:50 PM »

Apparently 1 can have a card from a charity which asks that Muzak is turned down in stores  8). I'm going to make more enquiries as I HATE having to filter music through my shopping thought processes.  Anxiety makes shopping hard enough work on a daily basis  >:( so if Companies accept suggestions to turn off music, how lovely that would be.

CLKD

Re: Autism, ADHD etc. and MUZAC
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »

"Pipedown" ....... campaigning to prevent or turn down Muzak - off to browse the website

yellowflower

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:09:55 PM »

Some businesses in Australia have times where the music is turned off or down so that autistic people can shop in a more quiet environment. A couple of our major supermarkets are involved with this.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/coles-expands-quiet-hour-to-173-stores/news-story/9bd7ed203caf4d8213ebc37cc1fe23f9

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 01:20:34 AM »

Morrisons has a quiet hour on a Saturday morning I think. They also dim the lighting.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 08:37:13 AM »

Tnx.  That's a start.  But what about those of us that simply hate Muzak ............  :-\ and I expect that the slot on a Sat. morning would be far too early for me  ::)

PeriPagan

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 09:09:27 PM »

Speaking as an Autistic I can't say I would be sorry to see Muzak silenced for good.

If you've got hyper/hyposensitivity issues with your senses this stuff can be hell. If I'm well rested, chilled out and my oestrogen levels are good I can tolerate it, but If I'm not, well lets just say I've had screaming, sobbing meltdowns because the kettles on at the same time as the microwave!

I also detest perfumes (the washing powder aisle of the supermarket is a special type of hell) and florescent lighting. Basically we find the neurotypical world too loud, smelly, bright and waaaayyyy tooo full on.

The quiet hour is a start but not enough. Society could benefit from being a little less in your face anyway  ;) Tone it down!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »

I won't give you a hug when we meet then ;-).

I was in a costa yesterday where one of the lights was flashing ....... it was annoying me and when an autistic girl with her family arrived I watched until they sat as I was going to point it out.  We get 'there may be flashing images' on TV B4 press reports, MotoGP etc.  :-\ ....

I too detest perfume in a crowded place or theatre  :-\.  YUK!

When my anxiety is bad and my anorexia kicks in, everything is heightened  :'( and I'm I think: within normal limits ........ though some would argue  :neutral: