Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Switching patches on recommendation of pharmacy  (Read 1270 times)

applejack

Switching patches on recommendation of pharmacy
« on: December 02, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »

Basically two pharmacies have told me to ask my doc to change my prescription from Estradot to "generic estradiol" due to estradot being almost impossible to get hold of.  Ok, Im fine with that as an interim solution but did want to check something.

Estradot 50 is a two a week patch with utrogestan, which I'm on at the moment

I notice that femseven 50 says one patch a week.  I take it that's going to amount to the same thing as the estradot 50 twice a week?  and also, i guess I continue taking the utrogestan as normal?

I'd get an appt with the doct to discuss this if i could but waiting times are two months and I can't really be without hrt for that long.

I guess evorel is another alternative (again, assuming one takes utrogestan in exactly the same way with all patches - ie, 1*100 per day, every day, which is how it's administered at the moment with estradot.  I'm basically just going to have to take whatever they give me but want to be sure they're all more or less the same and that the utrogestan dose remains constant.

Be glad when this shortage is over.  i'm sure we all will!

applejack

Re: Switching patches on recommendation of pharmacy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that update as well but it doesn't seem to be translating itself into supplies on the high street!

SEU666

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »

GP has changed me from 75mcg patch to 100mcg patch and pharmacy has been trying for almost two weeks to get some. No evorel or Estrodot available as so little is being released he was told. No others either. Say he's getting a lot of upset ladies in.
Now having to change to gel which is apparently readily available, at the moment!!
Been reading that 100mcg is 4 pumps a day...be interesting to see how I feel on it and how much GP has put on the prescription, how many pumps he has prescribed too. Going to collect it later today.
Does anyone know how long a bottle will last on 3-4 pumps a day??

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »

I use Estrogel 3 pumps a day, it lasts about 3 weeks, it has 64 doses per bottle.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »

My pharmacist ordered two bottles in as usual but only one came in, she is reordering again, so hope there are not issues with Estrogel now!

SEU666

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »

Thanks Tinkerbell. Can't believe there are so many problems with all the patches being unavailable.
Hope GP has put more than one on prescription or has on repeat. Don't fancy going down there every three weeks to get more!!

Oh...have you been on that dose long? Where do you put all that gel? On different places on the body?
Does it absorb same as patch or better as applied daily?
Sorry lots of questions now 🤣

applejack

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 02:11:32 PM »

Ok well, looks like I've been given a new prescription.  Says 50mcg estradiol which I guess gives me more options.  It also says "patch to be applied twice weekly".

They're not all twice weekly though, are they?  I know estradot is, but femseven isn't.  Or is it?  God, this is so confusing.

SEU666

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »

Just collected prescription.
Estrogel 0.06%, 64 dose @ 1.25g
Says each dose is 0.75mg of estradiol.
One application on each leg per day.
GP wanted me on 100mcg patch...I'm a little confused as to what is released each day from patch and amount in each pump of gel.
Thanks

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 08:07:51 PM »

Hi SEU666 - although your absorption of the gel may differ markedly from the wat you absrob from patches - that is still a lower oestrogen dose on average than the 100 mcg patch. The latter is considered high dose whereas 2 pumps of gel is medium dose. (Oh just noticed you said that already!)

In your position I would start at 3 pumps which could be approx the same as the 75 mcg patch so at least you will see in a few weeks how your symptoms compare with the 75 mcg patch. Using 3 pumps means you will get through a pump pack quicker than maybe you were prescribed but if you need to continue at this or greater then you will need to go back for more!

The gel does not give a daily release amount in the same way that patches do so you just have to do it by trial and error unfortunately.

Hope it works for you....

Hurdity x

SEU666

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 07:09:08 AM »

Thank you Hurdity.
You've confirmed what I was understanding, from a link on here to amount of gel verses patch.
I'll see how it goes but I have booked yet another GP appointment for two weeks time. I have saved the few remaining patches just incase it doesn't work out as I have to remember to apply each morning.

Thank you again for your help
xx