Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New member - struggling with it all.  (Read 2851 times)

Jessie11

New member - struggling with it all.
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »

I am so glad I found this forum I honestly thought I was going mad. I am 56 and I've been on HRT for three years. I was originally on Kliofem. Changed a few months ago to Estrogel and progesterone tablets.  Never really had a problem till a couple of months ago and started feeling dizzy, numb feet, pins and needles, weakness and depression. When I describe my symptoms to my GP she immediately referred me to a neurologist which set my anxiety levels high. As it was such a long wait on the NHS and I'm desperate I paid privately to see one. She did an MRI and said I don't appear to have any serious neurological diseases  although wanted to keep under review? I saw another GP and she said I wasn't using enough oestrogen gel and it's possible my hormone levels dropped. I have had anxiety and panic attacks and shake constantly. I wish I could be reassured this was down to hormones but have this horrible feeling there is something lurking. BP is fluctuating when always steady before; has anyone experienced all these things . ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member - struggling with it all.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 02:05:10 PM »

HORMONES  >:( !

It's The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes.  You have had the MRI and nil of nowt so you can put that one to bed.

I have a nerve in the back of my neck which makes me go dizzy.  Also hormonal ups and downs can cause similar symptoms. 

Why did you change a regime that was working?  Lots of people ind progesterone difficult!

Is your GP fluctuating in the surgery, if so buy a home monitor kit.  Many people have white coat syndrome but their pressure is normal at home.  DH takes his BP B4 breakfast .... makes a note and it's always within normal limits.

Jessie11

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 11:50:17 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I Changedmy HRT as my GP recommended it. I was okay on it for the first couple of months. However she does say that I wasn't using enough oestrogen gel. I still find it hard to believe that that would cause all these awful symptoms though. I do have a blood pressure monitor at home and it confirms my blood pressure is fluctuating wildly which is causing me anxiety. The shaking is getting me down to as it is noticeable. I have been put on propanolol which helps a bit. Just wish I knew what to do whether to change back to the old HRT or persist with this one.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »

Why alter if it an't necessary ............ why not add gel to the Kilofem?  You could talk to a pharmasist, they have private rooms these days.

As for the shaking, how is your diet over-all?  Sometimes we burn up more energy than we replace as hormones fluctuate.  I was advised to eat every 3 hours even in the night.  Not to eat more but to spread the food over 24 hours.  I also added slow release foods: bananas, porridge  :sick02: , Jacobs crackers with butter as snacks.  Dried fruits and nuts are filling.

Why did the predictive text write 'GP' fluctuating  ::) - it should have been BP  ;D

I have Propranolol too and it does help.  I take 20mg at night. 

squeaker99

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »

Yes I had the same for about 3 weeks  last Christmas (49, in Peri 4 years)   Tingling, muscle cramps. Was convinced I had Parkinsons or MS. Went to GP. Said it was anxiety/hormones.   Also you get hyper aware of every small thing which can cramp your muscles up.  Keep moving, get outside.  My symptoms only went when I found something new to worry about!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »

Cramp - eat more salt!!

Maybe keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be useful.

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 10:32:25 PM »

I've experienced many similar symptoms.  I've had neurological symptoms come and go, and heart skips and palpitations, and an anxious feeling of dread. 

Glad to say that my hormonal 'state' seems to have 'shifted' in the last 8 months.  I feel like I'm either close to a period a lot of the time or having one, but feel so much calmer that I'm not complaining.  I'm drinking a lot of Tulsi (Holy Basil) tea and Ashwaganda and Hemp tea, which I think are helping me feel calm but possibly also influencing my hormones (and I don't know if that's a good thing entirely, so I might widen my range of what I'm drinking, but I'm rambling now)

squeaker99

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 04:28:03 PM »

Jessie 11 - It's a  really horrible time for some of us. The anxiety ups and downs hit me around 4 years ago with periods of brain fog, insomnia. Mine was much worse pre-period. I would have two weeks I would call ' mad' weeks. I always seemed to be at the GP asking for blood tests/ECG checks (all fine). One GP said the daily fluctuation of hormones can be severe and cause a lot of the Peri issues.  If it is any help things have got so much better for me since my periods have started to stop for 2- 3 months. I feel my anxiety is settling down. There is light at the end of the tunnel. 

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »

If you're not on a sequi regime (200mg utro for 12 days) I'd suggest you do so. You can tell from this if it's the utro that causing the problem. I tend to agree if you were OK on the old hrt it might be better to go back to that.