Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Switching from Estradot to Evorel  (Read 3150 times)

Angie72

Switching from Estradot to Evorel
« on: November 01, 2019, 01:00:54 PM »

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has switched from Estradot to Evorel? I'm keen to try a bio-identical HRT and see how I go with that although the patient info leaflet has weight gain as a common side effect - been struggling to shift any weight at all this year  :-\
However, Estradot has been ok, has sorted my anxiety & mood swings but I do get ++ breast pain and have gone up a cup size!
Any comments much appreciated x

Katejo

Re: Switching from Estradot to Evorel
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has switched from Estradot to Evorel? I'm keen to try a bio-identical HRT and see how I go with that although the patient info leaflet has weight gain as a common side effect - been struggling to shift any weight at all this year  :-\
However, Estradot has been ok, has sorted my anxiety & mood swings but I do get ++ breast pain and have gone up a cup size!
There is a severe supply problem with Evorel at the moment. 

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »

Hi are you on Estradot at the moment? X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »

Hi Angie72

:welcomemm:

There is no difference in the actual active ingredient of the different patches but because they are all of a different size and perhaps the glue is different then you might absorb a different amount of estradiol when using a different brand of patch - so this would determine the oestrogenic side effects you might experience.

You say you have been using Estradot but this is bio-identical (ie containing estradiol) as are all the oestrogen only patches.

Can you say what dose of Estradot you are using and for how long, and where you are in menopause? What dose of Evorel you have been recommended? If you haven't been using it long then hopefully the side effects will settle? It may be that the dose is too high? Also which progestogen you are using alongside (if you have a womb)?

I have recently changed from Estradot to Estraderm (as katejo says there is a shortage of Evorel) and this has been fine for me in terms of symptoms. I think if you are nearing menopause when you start HRT then any oestrogen is going to restore your breast density to some extent and maybe a cup size.

Weight gain is very common as we approach menopause because our metabolism slows, muscle tone declines and fat is redistributed from hips and thighs to the middle so we become apple (round!) rather than pear-shaped (curvy!). Many of us fund we have to eat less, change or dietary balance, and exercise more us to stay the same weight. Weight-bearing exercise and body-conditioning can help to build muscle so this increase basal metabolism because muscle burns more calories at rest than fat.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Angie72

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »

:-* thanks for your replies, really helpful.

I've been on Estradot for the past 18 month- dosage was50 then 100 then back to 50 for the past 6 months.

Estradot is in short supply where I live and Evorel ok at the moment but i guess not for long!

I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago with ovaries retained so guess I was in menopause longer than I thought as I only started HRT 18 months ago.

My main symptoms pre-HRT were crushing anxiety, panic attacks, night sweats, palpitations, horrendous mood swings...things are very much improved on Estradot so I'm a bit worried that I'm just seeking perfection re breast tenderness/ weight gain....some mood swings still.

I was doing some research around ingredients and whilst research doesn't exactly confirm that regulated bio-identical HRT eg Evorel (derived from Yams!) is better than other HRT eg Estradot,  some prefer one to the other.

Does anyone take Evorel? What do you think?

Thanks

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 08:48:45 PM »

Rest assured that all the oestrogen patches are bio-identical ie contain estradiol which is bio-identical to our own hormones. They will all be manufactured in a lab/factory using the raw ingredient estradiol which will itself have been synthesised from raw ingredients. It is very difficult to find out information about this but whatever it is synthesised from, the resultant estradiol will be a pure hormone "chemical" or molecule that bears no relation to whatever it came from. Unless you have other information - then there is likely to be no difference in the estradiol except the ingredient could be bought from different companies who might have slightly different manufacturing processes. You would need to write to the manufacturer if you wanted to get to the bottom of it as it's not at all transparent or would involve more delving/googling than I have time for!! I have tried to find out about this in the past but not got anywhere but I am satisfied that estradiol = estradiol = bio-identical = synthesised from raw ingredients and purified - so not "natural" as such!

They are all regulated bio-identical - although many now use the term "body-identical" - Evorel, Estradot, Estraderm etc. Not sure where you have read otherwise?

If you had a hysterectomy then you won't know what your own cycle is doing but maybe the boob pain is less to do with the oestrogen itself, but this together with your own cycle maybe if you are not yet at menopause ie your ovaries may still be functioning? Very tricky to gauge I can imagine. You haven't said how old you are?

Anyway good luck with whatever you use and hope for a speedy resolution of your symptoms :)

Hurdity x

Angie72

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 10:22:16 AM »

I'm 47, was advised that post hysterectomy my ovaries would cease to function 3-5 years after the op so I'm now 8 years post op.

I work in healthcare so have been fortunate to attend a few primary health conferences also regarding menopause /HRT prescribing. Sadly, private clinics advertise compound bio-identical HRT which is unregulated and can contain random additives alleging to help menopause so should be avoided.

Thanks for your insight, really just asking if anyone had tried Evorel and how did they get on.
Ange 😊

Angie72

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »

Hi are you on Estradot at the moment? X

Yes I am Dotty

LizzyLoo

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 02:09:04 PM »

Hi Angie72, I've been on Evorel 50 for 14yrs!  I've stayed a size 14 for all of that time but have to watch what I eat or yes the weight does seem to go on quickly! I think that would be the same whatever HRT meds I was on tho. I'm just gutted I've had to switch to Estraderm 50 patches now (due to the shortage) as although they're the same doseage the longevity of an Estraderm patch appears to be slightly less due to the overall content of mg per patch.   :-\  anyway other than that so far so good......so hope you're finding the same.