Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Is it ok to use Evorel Conti with a Mirena fitted?  (Read 1294 times)

Suelie

• First Flush
Is it ok to use Evorel Conti with a Mirena fitted?
« on: November 07, 2019, 04:27:07 PM »

Hi folks

I'm new to the forum but would appreciate some advice. 

I started on Evorel Conti in May this year being post menopausal for just over a year (age 56).  I got on really well other than I started bleeding again.  At review my doctor referred me for an ultrasound as said I shouldn't be bleeding. I continued with the Evorel whilst waiting for the scan, although was advised to stop immediately when scan results showed a thickening of womb lining (8mm) and a cyst.  I was referred to a consultant pretty quickly and last week had a hysterscopy where they inserted the Mirena , removed a polyp and took a biopsy.  The surgeon said all looked OK, just need to get final results of biopsy but it didn't seem as if there was anything to worry about.

Since the Mirena has been fitted I've been having headaches. I'm assuming it's a settling in period and may stop when I start oestrogen either as gel or patch.  Until I'm prescribed oestrogen only can I continue to use the Evorel Conti as a temporary basis?  I did feel so much better using Evorel, mood, aches, anxiety all so much better.

Any advice appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: Is it ok to use Evorel Conti with a Mirena fitted?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:22:57 PM »

Hi Suelie

:welcomemm:

The headaches are most likely to be caused either by low oestrogen or the effects of the progestogen in the Mirena - systemic concentrations are highest initially but then it drops off. Taking oestrogen as well can help to offset these effects ( ie mask them).

If your womb lining is thickened slightly and the doc has given you no other treatment to thin it then you may well get some more bleeding until it settles but I'm sure you've been told this. If you use Evorel conti as well, I am sure it can do no harm although the progestogen is different but you may find you get more side effects because of more prog - but the added oestrogen may make this less of an issue if you see what I mean. Do you know when you are likely to be prescribed the oestrogen? Possibly have a word with the doc - can you have a telephone appt or mention to a pharmacist  - not that they are always sufficiently knowledgeable about HRT judging by some of the remarks I have read but may well be fine with this query?

Hope your headaches ease soon

Hurdity x

Suelie

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 10:31:15 PM »

Thank you for the reply Hurdity. I did wonder whether to ask the pharmacist, will pop over tmrw. I do have an apt late next week with my doctor so hoping to be able to get oestrogel then, but might start on the patches in the meantime.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »

Hi folks

I'm new to the forum but would appreciate some advice. 

I started on Evorel Conti in May this year being post menopausal for just over a year (age 56).  I got on really well other than I started bleeding again.  At review my doctor referred me for an ultrasound as said I shouldn't be bleeding. I continued with the Evorel whilst waiting for the scan, although was advised to stop immediately when scan results showed a thickening of womb lining (8mm) and a cyst.  I was referred to a consultant pretty quickly and last week had a hysterscopy where they inserted the Mirena , removed a polyp and took a biopsy.  The surgeon said all looked OK, just need to get final results of biopsy but it didn't seem as if there was anything to worry about.

Since the Mirena has been fitted I've been having headaches. I'm assuming it's a settling in period and may stop when I start oestrogen either as gel or patch.  Until I'm prescribed oestrogen only can I continue to use the Evorel Conti as a temporary basis?  I did feel so much better using Evorel, mood, aches, anxiety all so much better.

Any advice appreciated.
I started Evorel Conti at exactly the same time. I am also 56 but 4 years post meno. I was told then to expect slight bleeding and that it was normal. Didn't get any until October.  Since then I have had 1 full week (just like an old period with period pain) and 2 shorter spells (3 to 4 days and 1 day very light).