Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Stopped HRT - light bleeding  (Read 3564 times)

coldlittleheart

Stopped HRT - light bleeding
« on: October 31, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »

I've stopped HRT on the 20th and I am still getting spotting, is this to be expected? And how long is ok if it is normal? Before stopping i was on oestrogel only (on a cycle) and was going to restart utrogestan tomorrow. But I have just stopped taking it altogether after discussing with my GP. She didn't mention the spotting tho.

KiltedCupid

Re: Stopped HRT - light bleeding
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »

Hi coldlittleheart - it's probably oestrogen withdrawal bleeding. Also, I think you haven't used prog for a while? Might be your lining built up a bit and is now shedding. When did you last have a prog cycle bleed?

coldlittleheart

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »

Hi KiltedCupid, I had my last dose of utrogestan on the 5th october, then started spotting straight away the next day, then had a bleed a few days later for 3 days, not heavy, then had light spotting on and off and it stopped for a bit. then I stopped oestrogel on the 20th. I keep having on off spotting since I stopped.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:38:09 PM »

Ok, it's probably just stopping the hrt entirely that's caused it. When was your last endo scan?

coldlittleheart

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 01:45:51 PM »

Never had a scan prior to HRT. But I didn't have any bleeding since I had my last period about 5 years ago. Up until now so I am sure it is HRT related, just wondered how long it's meant to last. Just to clarify, I wasn't on HRT for very long, just since july this year and tried it last year for about 2 months.

AnnieR66

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »

Hi, I came off hrt a few weeks ago and had light bleeding for about 2 weeks.
I also had a migraine with aura so assumed it was all hormonal.

This was just my experience of it but I did just stop using it abruptly.
Annie x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 03:08:35 PM »

Ah, ok. I think you're right, it's hrt related and probs because you've only been on it a few months. Personally I'd give it another couple of weeks and if you're still getting intermittent spotting then, go and have a chat with your doc. Your last dose of Utro shouldn't  be the cause of this spotting as you've already had that bleed. Your spotting is probably due to stopping the gel completely and if you've only been using hrt since July you've not really established a regime. Your body is probably in a bit of flux just now and will stabilise in a week or 2.

coldlittleheart

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »

Hi, I came off hrt a few weeks ago and had light bleeding for about 2 weeks.
I also had a migraine with aura so assumed it was all hormonal.

This was just my experience of it but I did just stop using it abruptly.
Annie x

Ahh yes I stopped it overnight too, but I had not been on it for long, only since july. I am still feeling a little 'off' so hopefully it will all settle soon.

coldlittleheart

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »

Ah, ok. I think you're right, it's hrt related and probs because you've only been on it a few months. Personally I'd give it another couple of weeks and if you're still getting intermittent spotting then, go and have a chat with your doc. Your last dose of Utro shouldn't  be the cause of this spotting as you've already had that bleed. Your spotting is probably due to stopping the gel completely and if you've only been using hrt since July you've not really established a regime. Your body is probably in a bit of flux just now and will stabilise in a week or 2.

I'll give it a little more time then and then if it carries on, as you say, I'll go see my GP. I didn't have a bleed at all when I stopped last year (again very short lived, too many side effects, I gave up). It was a little different then, it was conti oral HRT.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 08:09:59 PM »

I think you'll be fine coldlittleheart, it's unsettling stopping abruptly, both mentally and physically but each day will become easier and the spotting will grind to a halt. Good luck and keep us posted with how you're doing.