Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Head injuries: sport  (Read 1329 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Head injuries: sport
« on: October 27, 2019, 08:22:44 PM »

Please dis-courage your children etc. from heading balls whilst playing football, either in the street, at school, in games .  It is dangerous.  There is nothing as 'only' concussion.  Concussion is a closed head injury and should not be dismissed.  It should always be watched carefully: any sleepiness, nausea/vomiting, complaints of flashing lights or dizziness should be seen at A&E immediately.

There is an article this week on a Sports page about footballers in particular suffering dementia, Parkinsons and Motor Neurone disease, all have a history of heading footballs.  This is being recorded in the American Football scene too, lads from an early age, i.e. late 20s early 30s. 

Make sure that those that ride cycles and horses wear appropriate hard hats and body protection.  I saw a lad riding his cycle with his helmet hanging from his handle bars  :o  >:(.  I need 2 have a word with his mother.

Seat belts are a given. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Head injuries: sport
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »

Yes, my son told me about this the other day. It's scary. Thankfully for me, and him, he's given up playing football now, he just hasn't the time....one worry over anyway.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »

This should be on the Agenda of every play group upwards.  One wouldn't suggest to a child to bang his/her head against a brick wall when frustrated  :-\ [wait until adult hood for that ;-) ] so why a football?  One needs to learn to dribble first ;-)  ::)

Countrygirl

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »

My daughter knows she is not allowed out on her bike without her cycle helmet, but still gives me the evil look when I check as her friends don't wear them x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »

My sister can still give 'the look', not something that I was able to cultivate  ::)

Bring her up to be individual?  Hard at that age!