Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Antidepressants  (Read 4758 times)

ptsheldon

Antidepressants
« on: October 26, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »

My consultant has recommended Venlafaxine or Sertraline to help with sweat has anyone taken these? Have they been helpful, advice needed and appreciated  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Antidepressants
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 10:12:39 AM »

Hi!  many medications have been found to be useful for conditions that they weren't designed for, ADs being some.  What's to lose? How bad are your hot sweats?  It may take 8-9 months B4 you feel benefit.

Let us know, you can be our Menopause tester ;-).

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »

Sertraline made me very nauseous after 3 days BUT it does work for many women but that's just my experience of it 😊

ptsheldon

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »

At the moment I'm having 15 + flushes a day  :(b but currently have a nasty virus and ear infection so don't know if that's affecting the flushes

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »

Are you peri/menopausal ptsheldon?  Anti-depressants shouldn't be offered as first line treatment for meno symptoms, depression yes but not hot flushes. How old are you, whereabouts are you in your meno journey and what symptoms are you experiencing?x

ptsheldon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »

Hi I'm 53 and had a full hysterectomy this September, I can't take HRT due to another condition I have  :(

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »

If a lady has hot flushes and ADs are found to work, then why not Perinowpost?  It isn't the 1st line of treatment specifically but medication to ease hot flushes after all.  Also, ladies with hormonal depression are told not to accept ADs but ask for HRT  :-\

Perinowpost

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 01:47:10 PM »

That's too bad ptsheldon I really feel for you x

CLKD I was just checking ptsheldon wasn't being given bad advice, as we know some GP's are woefully out of date when it comes to menopause x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 02:14:33 PM »

We do know.  Grab the 1st medication without thinking outside the box  :-\  ::)

Gillyv

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 08:32:05 AM »

Hi ptsheldon,

I've tried sertraline, it didn't work for me as it really upset my tummy and made me quite nauseous. I am now on fluoxetine 20mg/day (week 3), this seems to have dampened down my symptoms ( feeling hot and weird poorly feeling). I still feel a bit anxious and a little bit nauseous but I am coping with that.

Gillyv

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »

:thankyou:

Harmony

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 04:34:10 PM »

I haven't taken either, but just wanted to warn you that venlafaxine can cause very bad withdrawal symptoms, and needs to be gradually tapered. Personally I wouldn't take it for this reason, amongst others. Anti depressants are handed out far too readily in my opinion, and they're strong drugs that I wouldn't take before doing a lot of research.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »

Unless you have taken it you can't be knowledgeable enough to know!  Some don't need to taper off it. I took 9 weeks to taper off under GP supervision.  Symptoms were mainly fear that I wouldn't be able to stop it.  Bounce back anxiety.  But after 36 hours I realised that the anxiety didn't get worse so I didn't need to go back on that AD.  GP had access to small amounts not usually prescribed.  What do you class as 'strong'  :-\

People take Paracetamol ad-hoc, that drug should never be Over the Counter.  It is in too many preparations!

Harmony

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »

CLKD I say this about this (and other anti depressants) because it was prescribed for me, but I don't take any drug without researching it first. What I read decided me against taking it. I also personally know someone who had a terrible time coming off it, as have many people if you search online. They wish they'd never taken this, and similar drugs. Obviously everyone is different so not everyone will find this, but this is one of the most difficult ad's to come off. A quick search online tells all. If people want to take drugs without knowing what they're taking, that's obviously up to them. I just wanted the op to be aware of the downsides to this drug before taking it, if they do. I'm certainly not uninformed about the problems these drugs can cause.

I say they're strong drugs because they are!  Aside from side effects and problems withdrawing from them, they change brain function permanently, as can be seen on brain scans, yet many of them have only been tested for about 6 weeks. The trials are flawed and biased to show what the drug companies want them to show. All this is well known and in the public domain, and applies to all drugs. All Drug companies want to do is sell drugs, they're incredibly corrupt. They don't "officially" know what they do when taken for years, as many are.  The long term problems they cause take time to become apparent. There are doctors such as Peter Breggin and Terry Lynch who are very anti psychiatric drugs, having had a lot of experience working with people who take them, and through doing research. They should know what they're talking about!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:27:50 PM by Harmony »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »

It does depend on who is funding the research and if this drug was as potent as you suggest - even though you haven't taken it - it would be suggested that each patient has a brain scan or it would be withdrawn. 

Who are Peter Breggin and Terry Lynch ...........  :-\ - maybe a different thread would be appropriate.
Pages: [1] 2