Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progestin and the brain  (Read 1306 times)

ElkWarning

Progestin and the brain
« on: October 20, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »

Interesting article in the Guardian yesterday - https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/oct/19/dr-sarah-e-hill-how-pill-influences-womens-brains?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3FfhIB3Bv231PPxrNZ8b77HgcuJiRv7qbUaIxZF3gN-oGmRU8UXEBgHEE#Echobox=1571499027

From the article 'A less well-understood mechanism is that progestins, which are often created by changing the molecular structure of testosterone, aren't an exact match for our progesterone receptors. This means they can potentially stimulate other receptors, including those for testosterone, leading to masculinising effects, and for cortisol, which over time can dysregulate stress response. The stress hormone profile of pill-taking women, research suggests, is similar to people who have experienced chronic stress. Other research has found effects on the immune system, learning and memory.'

^^ As someone currently with a Mirena and inexplicably high blood pressure, I'm really curious to read about how this device can affect cortisol.

Best

EK

nicky_boo

Re: Progestin and the brain
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 03:32:14 PM »

Hi Elkwarning,

I am on the same boat and it wsa interesting to find your post from many months ago. How are you at the moment? Was your pressure high all the time or were you experiencing spikes?

Hope you see my message.

Kind Regards,
Nicky_boo

ElkWarning

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 03:41:00 PM »

Hello there. High with major spikes. Now it's just high. The meds seem to have worked on the spikes but not the BP overall.

I also had the coil out, maybe it was 2 months ago. That's definitely had an effect.

The current thought is that I might have something wrong with my kidneys, apparently years of over exposure to adrenaline can do that. Awaiting bloods, 24 hour urine results. Also meant to be having an ultrasound, but I don't know if that will happen.

How about you?

nicky_boo

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:14:46 PM »

Hi ElkWarning,

I am referred for a kidney ultrasound too last week (who knows when this will happen due to the current situation) and also I now have a prescription for high blood pressure. They did a stick test on the urine to check for protein (negative, thankfully) but it wasn't sent for further tests.

What is your BP at the moment? Do you ever get readings in the normal range?

My GP is worried about my kidneys as my mother had high blood pressure readings that wouldn't come down and they realised her kidneys were failing. She was on dialisis for 3 years before getting a kidney transplant. I hope this is not the case for you or me but who knows.

Please keep me posted and best of luck with it all.

Take care,
Nicky_boo

ElkWarning

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 10:52:36 PM »

Hiya

Sorry to hear about your mum ... yeah, it's a bit worrying.

And no. Unless I've literally just woken up, my BP is always high.

Not sure what's happened with any of my results from either the bloods or the 24 hour urine trace. I should probably phone the GP, but I feel like a) I don't want to make a fuss at the moment; and b) I can't handle any more worry.

What's your BP like? Have you had any positive results from medication?

Take care.

Best EK