Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Can increase in oestrogen help with progesterone side effects.  (Read 755 times)

EleanorB

Can increase in oestrogen help with progesterone side effects.
« on: October 13, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »

Hello,

Any thoughts appreciated. I had a mirena fitted approx a month ago when I had an endometrial polyp removed, and now have insomnia, truly horrible pmt style irritability (everyone and everything annoys me) eighty percent of the time. My gp gave me the side effects settle in 3 months line, which irritated me because, well, everything does at the moment. I was on three quarters of a patch of oestrogen only evorel 50 for 7 months prior to the mirena. The last two months before the mirena I felt the best I have in a while. Sadly 2 endometrial polyps having now been removed means the no progesterone days are over. I was only allowed to try monitored unnoposed oestrogen due to bad migraine.

I wonder if the progesterone undermines the amount of oestrogen and if going up to a whole patch from three quarters would help? The symptoms I have now are similar to the rage, irritation and insomnia I had prior to hrt. Previously more oestrogen caused brainfog and more memory issues. Three quarters was right for me, but now i'm thinking more could help? I don't see my gynae for a follow up till end of jan. I can write to her but I do know now I have the mirena in I can use as much oestrogen as I need (within reason obv.)  I have read a lot of threads on the mirena and realise a lot of people get rid of it for mood altering reasons but in every other way it's a good option for me. Did anyone raise their oestrogen and did it help?

Nik2502

Re: Can increase in oestrogen help with progesterone side effects.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 06:34:34 PM »

It's funny but I've just googled this with little results!

I'm severely progesterone intolerant and really suffer. I wondered if increasing oestrogen would counteract the effects.

Will be interested to know what other ladies on here think!

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 12:56:06 AM »

The key factor in the whole regime using utrogestan is balance between oestrogen and the progesterone and the major problem is that the level of balance is different and the side effects (if any) are different for every single women!  The only way to do it is trial and error cos what works for me won't work for you and what works for Nik2602, probably won't work for me!  We all need different levels, plus you need to factor in how well you absorb the oestrogen based on the distribution method, so is it pills, patches, gel etc?

I don't do well on patches and pills, but gel works just fine.  I can't deal with a mirina or any continuous delivery method of progesterone despite being post meno.  Low levels of oestrogen don't work for me, my dose is considered quite high but the only way to see is to increase the oestrogen until symptoms get under control or you get side effects you can't cope with in which case a lower dose is obviously better.  This hrt lark is right pain trying to get the right balance.  Just up the oestrogen if you can and see how you go xx

Nik2502

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »

Thanks. I think I'm going to tweak the dose this next month and see how I get on xx

EleanorB

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 02:41:24 PM »

Thanks for your responses. Also going to tweak my oestrogen and see what happens.

Sheanie

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 11:14:43 PM »

I was getting progesterone intolerant, so I upped the does of oestrogen from two pumps to three, and I seem fine now. Give it a try.....