Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 748 times)

Dawn Munn

• First Flush
Hello!
« on: September 16, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »

Hi everyone,
                  Just thought as I am new on here that I would give you all a quick introduction to myself, so here it goes! I'm Dawn and I'm 47 and have been going through perimenopause for well over a year and a half now. In that time I was just doing what I could without much knowledge and gleaning what I could. Due to some symptoms worsening in the last few months or so I went to see my GP practice nurse on Friday who directed me to this site and I have found that it has helped me understand things a lot more, especially as I hadn't made a connection to headaches worsening and also the joint pains that I've suffered from to all this.

As things started last year I had hot flushes and didn't have a period for six months before it came back slowly and seemed to go back to normal, other than hot flushes in between each one! This time it's been every other month, although at the moment I have missed two. The reason for me going to see the nurse was due to the hot flushes getting worse for me and also at the same time as having a particular bad one feeling very dizzy at times, which is not good when I'm in certain situations and I'm n front of a few people and can't do anything about it!

The nurse did suggest a few routes that I could use and at the moment I'm trying to make up my mind as to what to do, and for now I'm just seeing if I can manage on doing it through my diet and exercise, as even if going through this site has helped loads still feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all! The nurse did tell me that I could go back and see her oce again when I had made up my mind as to what I wanted to do, and it also made me smile when she said to actually go to her rather than my own doctor, because it is mostly a male doctor practice and she said that they were rather useless with this issue!

Dawn.

Foxylady

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:49:09 PM »

Hi Dawn, welcome to the forum, I have found it the best source of information I have come across. You are quite right doing your research & reading up. The more informed you are the better as you know whether you are being given the right information or not. I don't know whether I agree with the nurses comments as I have found my male GP to be excellent, I think it very much depends on the individual medic. I am 41yrs, x3 yrs of peri symptoms and long story cut short after having various tests, investigations & trials of medications was eventually diagnosed as peri the beginning of this year! I am on my second regime of HRT now and it has completely changed my life, still a little room for imporvement but my goodness it has given me a better quality of life. I have also tried to reduce my symptoms through diet & exercise (lost almost 3 stone doing 5:2 diet). All the best with your meno journey. If you are looking for a good all round book on the menopause Dr Louise Newson's Menopause Haynes Manual is excellent and well worth getting (cheaper through Haynes own website!). If there are particular things you want to research put a word into the search box and all the posts relating to that topic will come up. Take care. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.  Some find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.  Decide which symptom you would like to ease and have a look-see on here.  HRT can help protect bones and heart.  It can be Trial and Error finding something that suits.

Good exercise.  Lots of me time and rest.  A good diet. 

juliemargaret

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 05:19:55 PM »

Hi  foxylady so glad youre feeling better ! What regine are you now on and from what did you change? X

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »

Hi Jmargaret, I was started on Everol sequi, had it for 3 months then changed to Everol 75 & Provera 5mg daily to address the remaining symptoms. x