Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 59 and struggling  (Read 1671 times)

VavaVroomGone

59 and struggling
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:57:15 AM »

Good morning. Just a quick introduction -
I'm 59, had my last period about 5 - 6 years ago. I've had an easy ride apart from the terrible insomnia and depression/mood swings, and the aches, the brain fog and the general loss of confidence. But no hot flushes - hurrah.

I've seen numerous GPs in different practices and not one has agreed to my trying HRT. I was told that as I didn't suffer from hot flushes, it would not be suitable.

I have been given ADs (sertraline), and my latest GP offered amitriptyline. I hated the sertraline -  I took it for about a year and felt numb and dead. One GP just wanted to increase the dose. But i weaned myself off and can now feel emotion again..  not always a good thing as even roadkill can get me sobbing hysterically  ::)

I keep myself relatively sane ish by running  a bit, and walking  and riding a lot.

Over the past few months I've suffered from minor UTIs. I have been on about 4 different antibiotics and had adverse reactions to 3 of them. I haven't been able to run or ride. So I've been pretty miserable. I have seen 5 GPs.  Only one of them mentioned vaginal atrophy (on around my 5th visit) - and he prescribed Vagifem,  which I've used for about 4 weeks now. It has made a difference but I still get pain when riding and I get the odd mild uti symptom if I get at all dehydrated.

I have asked about trying HRT but was told by one GP that 'it would look odd' as I'm 59.  :-\

In desperation I saw a private GP.  She is certain that HRT will help - my appointment was probably the best 100 quid I've spent in some time.

I'm booked in for an abdominal ultrasound this week through my GP. Then I'll either try a helpful GP at my NHS practice to see if they will prescribe HRT,  or just go straight back to the private GP. (Any advice on this would be gratefully appreciated)

I'm not the person I was 10 years ago. I want to find myself again. I hope I can.

Catcc

Re: 59 and struggling
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »

Hi
I'm fairly new to all this too.  Had 2 years of flushes but managed them through supplements and lifestyle.  They eventually subsided and were less of a problem.  It has been the VA and urinary problems that have finally driven me to try HRT (started Femoston Conti just under 3 months ago).  And been on Vagifem 5 months too.  This forum has been wonderful for support and information.   The VA has adversely affected every part of my life for the past 6 months so I decided I had to give HRT a go in order to get some sort of normality back to my life.   I'm sure you'll get lots of help and support in the forum.
Take care and good luck :-)

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »

I'm 59, had my last period about 5 - 6 years ago. I've had an easy ride apart from the terrible insomnia and depression/mood swings, and the aches, the brain fog and the general loss of confidence. But no hot flushes - hurrah.

I've seen numerous GPs in different practices and not one has agreed to my trying HRT. I was told that as I didn't suffer from hot flushes, it would not be suitable.

I have been given ADs (sertraline), and my latest GP offered amitriptyline. I hated the sertraline -  I took it for about a year and felt numb and dead. One GP just wanted to increase the dose. But i weaned myself off and can now feel emotion again..  not always a good thing as even roadkill can get me sobbing hysterically  ::)

I keep myself relatively sane ish by running  a bit, and walking  and riding a lot.

Over the past few months I've suffered from minor UTIs. I have been on about 4 different antibiotics and had adverse reactions to 3 of them. I haven't been able to run or ride. So I've been pretty miserable. I have seen 5 GPs.  Only one of them mentioned vaginal atrophy (on around my 5th visit) - and he prescribed Vagifem,  which I've used for about 4 weeks now. It has made a difference but I still get pain when riding and I get the odd mild uti symptom if I get at all dehydrated.

I have asked about trying HRT but was told by one GP that 'it would look odd' as I'm 59.  :-\

In desperation I saw a private GP.  She is certain that HRT will help - my appointment was probably the best 100 quid I've spent in some time.

I'm booked in for an abdominal ultrasound this week through my GP. Then I'll either try a helpful GP at my NHS practice to see if they will prescribe HRT,  or just go straight back to the private GP. (Any advice on this would be gratefully appreciated)

I'm not the person I was 10 years ago. I want to find myself again. I hope I can.
I started HRT this year at 56 precisely for VA after starting Vagifem a year ago. Have been on Evorel Conti for a few months and thus has reduced my frequency of Vagifem.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »

Some GPs need a  :kick:

Do read our vaginal atrophy and bladder-related threads.  Make notes.  See the practice nurse who may be better informed that the GPs!  'it would look odd' - what would exactly: his lack of knowledge probably  >:(.

Make a list of which symptom you would like to ease.  VA has to be treated regularly.  It mimics urine infection-type symptoms really, really well.  Any GP should by now, know that  :cuss: .......

Initially I would go back to the private GP.  One shouldn't need too, but it may be quicker.  Get some appropriate treatment and review how you are feeling.  Then you can discuss with your surgery to see if they will prescribe.  Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use ;-).

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »

Hello VavaVroomGone and welcome to the forum.

Some GPs are woefully under educated when it comes to the menopause. They seem to fixate on hot flushes and many of us don't have them at all or only very mildly. Luckily my practice were willing to prescribe HRT to me when I was post meno at age 57 and nobody bothered if it looked 'odd'.

I think I'm right in saying that a  private script costs more than an NHS one although I think meds are free to the over sixties and you're nearly there lol. If you see someone privately it would  be worth asking your surgery to issue the prescription.

I can completely understand you wanting to be the person you were. I can't believe how much the menopause has changed me and I find that very sad.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »

Welcome! I also didn't have hot flushes when I first went on HRT last year, age 56. I asked my GP to refer me to a menopause clinic as was having awful headaches, dizziness and stomach issues. I had to travel for an hour and a half to get there but it was worth it as they prescribed HRT and sent a letter to my GP who then prescribed it for me. Maybe ask for a referral.

heavenlyblue

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 10:34:45 AM »

Good morning, I am a newbie but wanted to welcome you.  I'm 3 years in, feel worse than I did 3 years ago, I have been put on one type of HRT, but my symptoms are just getting worse (36 hr migraines just to name one....) but they won't try anything else, the GPs have been useless.  I now have an appointment with a private clinic, like you, I want to get the old me back.  Glad you are finally seeing someone who is listening to you, that is the most important thing, I feel.  x

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »

Hello VavaVroomGone and welcome to the forum.

Some GPs are woefully under educated when it comes to the menopause. They seem to fixate on hot flushes and many of us don't have them at all or only very mildly. Luckily my practice were willing to prescribe HRT to me when I was post meno at age 57 and nobody bothered if it looked 'odd'.

I think I'm right in saying that a  private script costs more than an NHS one although I think meds are free to the over sixties and you're nearly there lol. If you see someone privately it would  be worth asking your surgery to issue the prescription.

I can completely understand you wanting to be the person you were. I can't believe how much the menopause has changed me and I find that very sad.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.
I didn't think private prescriptions were free to over 60's. I already get free NHS ones now due to exemptions but would have to pay for  private ones.

VavaVroomGone

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »

Thank you so much for the support :)

I've now had my ultrasound of uterus, ovaries, kidneys, bladder and I'm pleased to report that my innards are 100% fine! The GP surgery told me the results would take 2-3 weeks to get to them from the hospital... however the sonographer zapped her report straight over to the GP while I was there today, so I've made an appointment with an unknown GP at the NHS practice tomorrow afternoon.

I was away on holiday for a week and felt absolutely fine all the time I was there. I did a lot of walking, swimming and had no uti type symptoms at all.

Then I came home, rode the horse for about 40 minutes (in walk - nothing strenuous!) and had vulval pain for a day and felt as though I needed to pee for a day and a half. So I reckon the Vagifem is just not enough and I'm going to go and ask / demand to try HRT.

I'm fit, low BMI, drink a small amount (which I'm happy to give up!). There is no history of cancers in my family, parents lived until 80s/90s. So I really can't see why they won't let me try it. If not, then off back to the lovely private GP and I WILL get some!

AAAAAAaaargh.

I'm trying to find the right documents to brandish. Any suggestions?!

More positive news is that my workplace is starting a Menopause Meeting with menopause expert and gynaecologist. This may be interesting!