Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: St. John’s wort and Estradot patches  (Read 1718 times)

Kimberly

St. John’s wort and Estradot patches
« on: September 10, 2019, 06:15:31 PM »

Hello everyone,
I want to try st John's Wort to help me with anxiety issues.  I have just read the leaflet which says it should not be taken with hrt, in fact not with the Pill or other hormone treatments. 
Does anyone have any experience or other information regarding this.  I really want to try it.  The dr has given me Venlafaxine which I am reluctant to take especially in the light of today's news about the numbers of people addicted to anti depressants, sleeping tablets and the like. 

Padine

Re: St. John’s wort and Estradot patches
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:25:26 AM »

Kimberly, I think you must NOT take St. JW with any hormone treatment. I remember wanting to try it when I was on the pill about 15 years ago. Speak to a pharmacist or knowledgeable person in a health food shop- they are all clued up on what interacts with what. If you're looking for a herbal alternative to ADs, there's 5HTP or rhiodola, but again, check with pharmacist. Are you taking enough magnesium and/or vitamin D?
Hope that helps 🤗
          Padine x

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »

St John's Wort makes the birth control pill less effective.  If the pill is used for contraception then it's not a good idea !! Presumably it makes tablet form of hrt less effective too. Don't know about transdermal hrt though.
I got Venlaxafine last week too. And feel the same as you do.
Pants. x

Kimberly

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:58:31 AM »

Thank you both.
Have you tried the Venlafaxine Pants?

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »

:o Took half a capsule on Saturday. That was it. They are now sitting on the kitchen counter staring at me.