Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Prescription Drug Addiction  (Read 1748 times)

Sparrow

Prescription Drug Addiction
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49639914

It's seems this problem will not go away quickly and the majority of those affected are middle aged women.  It's almost as if they don't know what to do with our problems so we are just 'drugged up'. >:(

orrla

Re: Prescription Drug Addiction
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:46:05 AM »

I remember reading some time ago in papers about the Red Nose charity project in Africa where they were busy building camps for older women, because, apparently, while there, they discovered that they were finding older women abandoned in bush in large numbers, all on their own. It turned out that it is very common there for son who got married to young woman to take his mother to bush and leave her there.

What's so different to how we are treated..?

Not enough I am barred from doing almost everything I did before, I am experimented on too, and gagged with drugs!

What was the point of extending our lives, remind me?!

:-\

Good day!   ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:50:02 AM by orrla »

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »

Yes this is not a new problem - I remember reading an article on Guardian some years ago especially around prescription of anti-depressants entitled "hooked on happy pills".

Let's hope that eventually the message re women anxiety and menopause gets through as a result of widespread publicity, education and NICE Guidelines so that fewer and fewer are prescribed ADs and benzos and all manner of other drugs that were designed for other problems - and are given HRT instead ie replace their declining and deficient hormones instead of being "gagged with drugs" !! (as well of course as lifetsyle and dietary advice, and "talking therapies" where appropriate).

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:28:36 AM »

Maybe women should be offered a 'menopause health check' in the same way as we are offered smear tests, bowel screening invites and men are offered scans at 65 for the aorta  ........ to begin the process of making everyone aware that this time *will* arrive.  Being aware that menopause brings symptoms as well as the cessation of periods and possible hot flushes? 

If everyone is more aware that depression and anxiety may ramp up as hormones dip and fall ? 

orrla

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »

Yes, CKLD, one would think that if a woman aged ca. 50 turns up at doctors complaining that her mood somewhat changed and her body does weird stuff, that doctor would click straight away, and set that woman on a right course.... instead of gagging her with ADs.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »

What age would one offer the advice, late 40s?  Though my neighbour told me that she didn't want to even think about it until she was 60  :D. Well Dear, you may be in for a Nasty Surprise?  ::)

orrla

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »

Yes, I am mad at women too, but I know that, when I was growing up, my mother's meno was made into my fault.

It was me who made her mad - not meno.

Now I look amongst my old friends, and all have some mysterious conditions with never heard of names, stuffing themselves with pills for this and that, medicated up to their eyeballs, but none had any meno, as all sailed through it, apparently. So, not all that much changed, really.

I call it ignorance!

Say 'meno' and all think 'period stopping'.

When I was starting, most told me my symptoms are because I am grieving that I can't have children!!! A leaflet I got on meno bragged about wrinckles, that's all.

But, let's hope something is changing, fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:00:21 AM by orrla »

Ladybt28

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »

I think the problem is that menopause is "considered a natural part of the ageing process"!!! - my ar** and is still considered that way.  It may well have been years ago although I have often posted that "years ago" they used to put women in asylums "with nerves" and drug them with laudanum for "the vapours"!!! :)  To be honest not much seems to have changed on that front!!

But the fact was that years ago women retired, or never worked cos they looked after families, they were considered "old at 50" and the way our bodies react to chemicals in the environment are different now.  Me and the ladies on here have had many a discussion about hormones in food and water that affect everyone.  Sorry but just reading here, the world we live in has changed beyond all recognition for women but the attitudes haven't and those who "sail through" just compound the matter.

Education is the thing but take the thing in the papers last week about "hrt and cancer". We seem to take 2 steps forward and one step back oh and plus when we are trying to sort ourselves out with meno, there  would be a "MAN" >:( in the mix.  They are hardly going to have a clue unless they have a menopausal wife who isn't "sailing through"!

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »

Hello ladies.

I seem to remember that in the sixties women were addicted to tranquilisers so perhaps that was the meno treatment at the time.

Sorry to repeat myself but I love the story my MIL told me about her own mother. Apparently when this lady was in her late forties and began 'suffering with her nerves' her GP prescribed cigarettes. As a child MIL recalls that he was  always seen smoking so clearly his fag habit was doing something for him and he thought his patients would also benefit. As doctor's orders were never questioned the said lady went out and bought a pack of Senior Service and lit up. Fortunately for her future health she had to abandon the treatment because she ' couldn't be doing with all the smell and ash '. In an earlier age we may have been subjected to a course of Leeches.

Hopefully someday  we will have better HRT therapies plus a more accurate understanding of the whole meno process so we can make informed decisions about our future.

Wishing you all well.

K.

Perinowpost

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »

My grandmother never discussed the details of her menopause. I can remember her saying though “if you can get through menopause you can get through anything”.  As she was a strong woman who endured lots of hardships, that comment tells me everything x

Padine

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »

I remember my Granny and her Woodbines  :-* couldn't wait to be old enough to do what sophisticated ladies did and wear a hat all day too  ;D!
      Padine x