Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 952 times)

Fruitbat

• First Flush
« on: September 06, 2019, 08:35:59 PM »

Hi everyone, I joined a wee while ago but am just getting round to reading posts etc now.  I am 56 and am suffering with some menopause systems - mainly the ones that are causing me to dry up like a raisin!!!   The flushes and sweats were never too bad, but anxiety and all the dryness has been the worst.

I had my smear test done a few days ago and the experience was awful - I have been suffering from Vaginal Atrophy for a while now - started off when I was running to the loo constantly and was told my bladder was inflamed.  Was put on Vagifem and it worked a treat for the burning and constantly needing the toilet but the dryness has never gone away completely. 

Was wondering is there anything else I can do to improve this area.  I never knew about this part of menopause before - why do woman not talk about these things.  I am not technology minded so sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.  I couldn't work out how to create a new post.

Also does menopause ever end - is there anyone who has come to the end of it, or do we have to endure all these symptoms till we die!!

Dancinggirl

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:41:17 AM »

Vagina moisturisers are essential and should used alongside the Vagifem but not at the same time or it might prevent the Vagifem absorption.
SYLK or the YES products are the best. DG x

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 07:55:25 AM »

Hi Fruitbat, welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear Vagifem is working for you, but as to the dryness, have you tried using a vaginal moisturiser? The Yes products are best, and some people like Sylk. I can recommend the YesYesYes website for more information.

As to whether menopause ever ends, well no, not really, unless we can suddenly start producing our own oestrogen again! Some folk find symptoms lessen over time and some don't, and need to replace the missing hormones. However, if you have VA then that will only get worse if left untreated, and treatment is lifelong.

This forum is a great resource, so ask away about anything else. To create a new post, go to the front page and select the heading you want (eg, All Things Menopause), then at the bottom of that page you will find a tab that says  Create New Post.

JP x

Fruitbat

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 05:52:47 PM »

Thanks Ladies.  I will get some Vaginal Moisturiser and try that and see if that will help too.  That makes sense regarding the end of it - if we never again produce oestrogen again then why would it stop - that I guess was a stupid question.  I think if I could get sorted out with the dryness I might cope.  I think I am over the worst of it - hopefully.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:06:42 PM »

Hi Fruitbat

:welcomemm:

You just started a new thread/post so congratulations!

Also to add go to the Private Lives Board and look at the long-running "The Burning Club" thread started by Dancinggirl which has heaps of helpful info about VA. Also look at all of Maryjane's posts and her podcasts and interviews and buy her book! She is our guru on all things VA and has become famous! If you find a post that she has done then click on her name and then click on "Show posts" and you will see them all.

Not a stupid question though - it is suprising that there are some doctors who still think you can just have a course of vaginal oestrgoen for a few months and then that will be it - once cured you can stop the treatment (well as reported on here anyway!).

Hurdity x