Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 686 times)

Andi70

« on: September 03, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »

Hi everyone thanks for having me!
I'm 49 I have 4 children, oldest 31 son, daughter 27, son 22 and my youngest son 9!
Not sure whether i'm Perimenospausal or in menopause. I went 14 months without a period then boom out of blue one came, I was mortified to say the least, angry, upset depressed couldn't talk about it without crying. That was April not had one since.
Anyway the main problem with me is depression, anger, anxiety, I feel like my family hate me for it. I lost my mum over 2 years ago which I. Sure hasn't helped my situation.
I've been to talk to nurse practitioner a number of times and went a few weeks ago to discuss my depression. My mood can change at the flick of a switch, I can go all day then it feels like my stomach hits the floor and I'm depressed angry, can't deal with the end of day tiredness, I get ratty with everyone. Nurse said I don't need to go down the route of antidepressants.
What are everyone else's experience please, I really need advice I'm desperate. I can honestly say that this is worse than any pmt I have experienced and it's the worse point in my life.
Help!

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »

Hi Andi70.

:welcomemm:
Glad you've found us.....sorry to hear your struggles, we've all had them, and still having them.
Sounds like your peri menopause to me. You have to go a full 12 months without a period to be Post meno...so you've got to start counting again...
Do some research on here, and you can decide if you want to go down the hrt route. Sorry for your loss I'm sure that doesn't help, and I'm sure your family doesn't hate you, it's the dreaded hormones telling you that, it's not easy, but someone's always on here to offer help and support...ask anything you want.
A lot of ladies on here are on hrt and antidepressants, I've been on hrt for nearly two years now, and without it, I don't know how I would've coped...I declined antidepressants, because I knew it was my hormones doing the damage and that I wasn't depressed in the true sense of the word...( plus, I'd had horrible experiences with antidepressants years ago) so I opted for hrt, and although it's been a hard slog, I'm now better than I have been for years...so, have a read, and I'm sure someone will post with more experience than me, hang on in there, book an appointment at the docs, and discuss hrt options.
Wishing you well, and keep posting to let us know how your doing...your not alone....

Jd xx

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »

Sounds like meno/peri symptoms to me too  :( you might find the Advice for Husbands pinned post useful as many symptoms aren't widely talked about. Sorry about your mum, it can take a long time to get over the death of someone close so I'm sure that isn't helping. Perhaps book an appointment with your gp to discuss if hrt might be suitable? Your symptoms sound similar to mine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:50:47 PM »

Peri-menopause creeps up without us realising it  >:(.  All kinds of weird and not so wonderful things happen.  My periods waxed and waned for several years with gaps of months between or being regular but much lighter.  Some ladies have heavier periods. 

You may find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use.  Is there a symptom that you would like to ease?

You may be in mourning and could find it useful to talk to someone at your local 'cruse' support group - run by the bereaved for the bereaved. There is no time limit to grief. 

Finding an HRT that suits can be Trial and Error.  In reality menopause is the last monthly period.  But as you have found, a break of 12+ months isn't a certainty  ::).  Browse round.  Do read the threads on bladder issues and vaginal atrophy!