Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Dreadful anxiety  (Read 1490 times)

Kimberly

Dreadful anxiety
« on: August 31, 2019, 06:54:36 PM »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.  I have been on it a few times in the past but have just rediscovered it and this thread is what I really need at the moment.  I don't know where to start but really suffering from huge anxiety at the moment.  I guess it doesn't help that My mum has motor neurone disease, 7 weeks ago she had a fall and fractured her neck and is now in a care home, hoping to come out in the next few months.  Personally I would prefer her to stay where she is as I know she is being looked after - selfish I know but I find it really difficult to see her like this and I now have a constant worry that I am going to end up in the same boat.  I have constant feelings of guilt.  I am mostly responsible for organising her care so that is a constant worry.  I am a non stop worrier.   At the moment i am going through a phase of thinking I have some sort of neurological disease with tingling arms and not sleeping.  Last night it felt as though I only slept for 2 hours max!  My poor husband is fed up with my worrying about everything and if there is nothing to worry about, I will invent it!!
I am on Estradadot 75mg and have been taking hrt (oestrogen only) for 15 years following hysterectomy.  I don't ever want to come off it as it suits me well.  Before I started it, I could not function at work or home, could not sleep and huge mood swings.  I am now retired and should be enjoying my life.  My anxiety levels are very high at present, I know/hope they will drop again but it is tough when I am in the middle of it.   I feel like I have to go to the doctor to constantly get checked out.  I am sure my practice thinks I am a real pain.  Sorry to go on, it is good to realise when reading this forum that many others have the same issues.  The so called hrt scare yesterday probably doesn't help as each time I ask for a repeat prescription I feel as though I am in for a battle.  Last night's lack of sleep didn't help either, things get so distorted in the middle of the night especially when my husband is sleeping 💤 soundly away !!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dreadful anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »

You have a good moan! 

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.  I have been on it a few times in the past but have just rediscovered it and this thread is what I really need at the moment.  I don't know where to start but really suffering from huge anxiety at the moment.  I guess it doesn't help that My mum has motor neurone disease, 7 weeks ago she had a fall and fractured her neck and is now in a care home, hoping to come out in the next few months.  Personally I would prefer her to stay where she is as I know she is being looked after - selfish I know but I find it really difficult to see her like this and I now have a constant worry that I am going to end up in the same boat.  I have constant feelings of guilt.  I am mostly responsible for organising her care so that is a constant worry. 

Can you arrange a meeting with your Mum's consultant and team, with your Mum, to discuss future care.  Lifting is the main problem for carers.  So hoists may be essential, could her property be adapted?   You may find that once she gets settled she will make the decision to stay herself.  Are you 'happy' with where she is?  Do they have appropriate exeperience for your Mum's future needs?

I am a non stop worrier.   [you have a lot going on!]. As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Anxiety and tension can make muscles tense so you may feel more aches and pains which are probably 'within normal limits'.  Of course you will consider the worst!  If in general the HRT eases symptoms stick with it.

Have you considered taking anti-anxiety medication for a while, at least until your Mum's situation is settled?  Don't assume that your practice are bothered by your appts., don't think either that they think of you constantly  ;).

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:32:18 PM by CLKD »

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »

I'm not surprised your anxious, you have a very good reason to be. If you're not sleeping that will make it worse, no-one can function properly without enough sleep. Not sure I can advise but if it was me I'd try sleeping pills for a few days to see if you feel differently with sleep. After this if the anxiety still feels abnormal then ADs. The only other thing I can think of is  if you still have overies which are now producing less oestrogen so you need more.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »

Maybe jot down what you would like to ease first and take a list to the Practice Nurse or GP.  Nurses can do a well woman check and have time to listen ;-).  Let us know how you get on!

Kimberly

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 03:01:24 PM »

Yes, thank you. I will make an appointment next week. 

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 08:19:35 PM »

Ask which drugs might help if you require them.  They will help whilst you access other support if you require it, in this area it's 22 weeks to see a 'therapist'  >:(.    In the 1990s I had to wait 18 months B4 there was an appt..  If you know what is available you can make informed decisions ;-)

Kimberly

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »

Hello all, I am feeling somewhat calmer than my original post. I saw my GP today.  He was helpful.  We went through some recent blood tests and inflammatory markers which were all normal.  He has referred me for talking therapy which he said does not have too long a waiting list - we will see.
I have been taking Zopiclone since Saturday and will try and tail them off over the next few days.  I am also going to try the Headspace app which is supposed to be helpful.   He has given me a prescription for Venlafaxine which are apparently suitable to treat anxiety.  The instruction leaflet inside is 4 pages long with precautions and warnings and has somewhat put me off taking them. Do any of you ladies have any experience of this medication.  I would be worried about getting addicted which would be yet another issue to sort out!!