Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cold water and adrenaline  (Read 3439 times)

squeaker99

Cold water and adrenaline
« on: August 27, 2019, 03:26:45 PM »

I am interested in find out if cold water can help with adrenaline/cortisol/anxiety surges.
Someone on this site mentioned it and I think it makes lots of sense.
I find at night I am very hot and even with a cold flannel I sense my core temperature
increases my adrenaline.

I am going to have some cold baths before bed and in the morning and may take
a dip in the (freezing) sea where I live.

I had my first cold shower last night and it certainly re-sets the system.

Will keep you posted!

Sparrow

Re: Cold water and adrenaline
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »

Cold showers are supposed to be very good for mental health issues.  The was a series on the BBC about how to improve mental health and get people off medication, if possible.  One of the techniques was cold swimming and the doctor, in the programme, took a women cool swimming and it did help her a lot. 

It might be worth doing a google and see if the programme is still available, or the BBC website.

Jenna

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 04:19:29 PM »

Cold showers are supposed to be very good for mental health issues.  The was a series on the BBC about how to improve mental health and get people off medication, if possible.  One of the techniques was cold swimming and the doctor, in the programme, took a women cool swimming and it did help her a lot. 

It might be worth doing a google and see if the programme is still available, or the BBC website.

Here we are Shadyglade:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p047z13f

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »

Oh, well done Jenna. 👍

Hope that helps Squeaker.  :)

squeaker99

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 05:06:51 PM »

That's great. I will watch.

I wonder if when we get anxious it is our neurons over heating! I am very like my dad in physiology and he always has big stand out veins and gets sweaty after he drinks hot drinks. He is anxious too. I've just found a piece in the guardian about it too - the cold water lowers inflamation which I always think is a biproduct of Meno/Peri - I know my bowels are inflamed when I'm anxious!

Cold bath for me tonight.

squeaker99

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »

:o and supposedly someone suffering with depression should stay awake all night  :-\

DO NOT jump into cold water as one can die of shock.  Ease into a cool bath or pool gently.  Swimming helps endorphins.  It's non weight bearing and one can shut off .........

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »

Hello ladies

Another way to lower inflammation is to eat plant foods, only animal products are pro inflammatory. Sorry to bang on about diet etc ladies but at this time in our lives I think all lifestyle changes are up for consideration.

Having said that, I'm not sure I could cope with a cold shower but I suppose I could turn the water temperature down a notch!

Take care all.

K.

squeaker99

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »

Hi Kathleen. First cold pre-bed shower last night. (OK so it wasn't freezing it was cold!).
Went in slowly but after 2 minutes managed to get my back under.

I actually felt calmer, more lucid. I think anything to get your core body temp down
pre bedtime is a good thing for me. I know when I am stressed in the middle of the night
I feel hot and bothered (Although I have never had the ' sweats' at all).

I am going to keep going with it. At least there is a simple 'cause and effect' element to it.
And it has no nasty side effects!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 08:12:26 PM »

Did U put bubbles in  ;)  ???

Jari

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 09:20:29 PM »

Oooooh! Not sure I could do cold showers but I can see how it can bring down body temp.

Kathleen, I'm with you on the plant food diet.  I do still sometimes have a bit of dairy here and there eg in a biscuit or a bit of butter on bread, but I'm reducing more and more..

I think there's a lot to be said for it. X